Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis Wilted

Posted by sweetpea_ont Ontario (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 7, 13 at 7:23

My clematis was growing fine & showing a number of buds.
Suddenly I noticed the top 12 inches was limp and wilted. What caused this and how do I treat it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis Wilted

Any indication that the stem immediately below this point has been damaged? If not, chances are you have clematis wilt. Relatively common with any number of LFH's and while disappointing, seldom fatal.

Just cut the vine back below any signs of wilt and treat as normal. You should see new growth this season and possibly even some late blooms. But next season it should come back as strong as ever.

FWIW, wilt can be a recurring phenomenon for several years on some pruning group 2 clems but they generally outgrow it in time. Many of the clems I've a grown have been nursery returns because of clematis wilt - I just cut them back and provide some TLC and they are usually as good as new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here