Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dumbie chops clematis, will it survive?

Posted by kentstar 5b NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 24, 08 at 7:25

I planted a Josephine back in spring of this year. Was growing well for first year in. I was weeding out my roses of which it was planted next to, and what happens? I accidentally cut off the top of the clematis vine! There is about 6 inches of a single stem sticking out of the ground now. Ugh!
Is there any hope for spring regrowth? Or should I buy and replant that one.
Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dumbie chops clematis, will it survive?

Chopping usually helps Clematis rather than hurts them. It should be just fine and may sprout additional vines up from the crown.

o

I had the same thing happen to me. My dad and I were doing yardwork this weekend, when he proudly proclaimed "I got that damn vine off the crabapple tree finally!"

I said, "oh the white clematis I planted in May that finally started to climb in the direction I want!" That's ok, maybe next year...arg.
He felt bad, but eventually I cooled off and reminded him to ask first, then cut.

o

I figure it had all summer to establish itself some, so maybe, just maybe it will come back out in the spring. For now, I am just treating it like it is still ok, watering well, mulch, etc. Mine was vining well too. I had just gotten it to vine up an obelisk trellis. It was about 3 to4 ft long!
Oh well, live and learn I guess! lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here