Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identity of this clematis?

Posted by debra_boston Zone 5 - Boston (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 19, 14 at 8:00

Hi,
Someone in Worcester has this clematis in their yard and says it has bloomed reliably for years with no maintenance. Of course, she doesn't know the name of it!!!! Argghh! I just love the blue color of this one. Anyone wanna take a guess? Can't get a closer pic, however, if you hit the control key and the plus key at the same time the picture will enlarge for a better look. To make the picture smaller hit control and minus. Pretty tricky, huh? Any and all comments welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identity of this clematis?

There are a lot of blue-purple clematis. How accurate does the color of the photo seem on your computer? (blues are notoriously hard to photograph, and yes I know that my computer screen may vary)
When does it bloom and for how long?

One thing you can do is type in the particulars (height, bloom time, bloom color, etc,) leaving the parts blank that you don't know, on the search form of Clematis on the Web to see if you can narrow it down. Once you get a list, click on the names and you will see photos. Look at both the leaves and the flowers to see what is a close match.

You can also ask the grower to next season peg down a branch at a leaf node and see if you can get a new plant. Then the name wouldn't matter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web search

o

Could be The President

o

Wow! Could very well be the President! I looked it up and it does resemble very well. Thanks Gary.https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=chrome-psyapi2&rlz=1C1GGGE_enUS561US570&ion=1&espv=&ie=UTF-8&q=the president clematis

o

I haven't seen The Pres. that blue but Rhapsody can be.
Is that fanTAStic or what???!!! Next time, also take a closeup so people can see the petal shape and number, and the leaves.
mindy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here