Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis in a pot

Posted by marquest z5 PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 3, 11 at 8:38

Triternata Rubromarginata

Is this a good candidate for growing in a pot? I have a very large pot and because of the fragrance I would like to grow it on the patio in a pot. It is extremely large foam 30 x 24 pot.

My other reason is the deer and rabbits attack it so bad I was thinking my only way to save it for a long time is to grow it closer to the house.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis in a pot

If you have enough room to support the vine. This one is a really large grower.

o

I have many clematis in pots, and they adapt well. If you're uncertain, one option is to put the pot on soil, and if the plant needs more nourishment or moisture, it will creep out of the drain holes a bit and find it under the pot.

KarinL

o

Thank you both for responding, My concern is if it would be hardy enough to survive the patio in the winter. Since you are both zone 8 you would not know because you do not have the severe winters I would get.

My patio is a upper deck type position situation it was the other option I am considering to keep the animals from eating it away. Being high and close to the house the animals cannot grt to the plants.

I guess I will give it a try. It cannot hurt it will probably not last if I leave it for deer food,

o

If you are zone 5 in the ground you are zone 3 in a pot. You'd have to wrap it or otherwise protect it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here