Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis and spruce trees

Posted by nydepot 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 26, 13 at 9:00

I've been reading through old forum posts on growing clematis up trees and I'm considering getting two Sweet Autumn Clematis.

I had a group of three spruce (white and blue) and one had to be removed. These are in the 25-30' range. The tree on the south side of the three was removed and this left a blank area on the other two trees where the trees touched and eventually all the needles fell off. The rest of the tree is fine.

I'd like to train a clematis next to each of the two remaining spruces to cover the dead area which extends up about 12-15'.

I read that the Sweet Autumn Clematis grows large and would cover the area.

My concern comes from pruning. I'd like to grow something that would generally be maintenance free, without the hassle of specific pruning, as in type 1, 2, and 3.

I'd like a final clematis height of 15-20'. Does the S.A. Clematis seem to fit the bill or would something else be better? Thanks.

Charles

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis and spruce trees

Sweet Autumn is a pruning group 3, which means that you cut it down to 6-12" from the ground every year. Mine grows from 6" to 15 or 20' every year with really good coverage. It's a very large clem, so I think it's exactly what you're looking for. One year I wanted to see what it would do if I didn't prune it at all, and it still was 15 - 20' tall. I had thought it might add an additional 15' to the 15' from the previous year, but it didn't. I cut mine down in the fall to let the lattice it grows on dry out and because the dead leaves look ugly, but if you didn't want to prune at all, I think you might be able to just leave it alone if you didn't mind how it looked in winter. The only reservation I have is how the spruce roots from the other trees might affect it and I have no advice for you about that, I'm afraid.

o

With a couple of caveats, I think the SAC could work for you also. First, you should be aware that this is considered an invasive species in some areas, mostly in the Midwest and east coast I believe. Second, it can grow quite a bit larger than 15-20'. In my garden it grew to 30'+ each season and could engulf all manner of plants anywhere close to its location. I would not consider that a real handicap for your situation, however conifers like the spruce often react poorly to being covered/shaded by other foliage. If you can keep most of the growth restricted to bare spots on the conifers, you should be OK.

FWIW, I would NOT consider leaving this vine unpruned - it would not be beneficial to the conifer at all. The weight and shading of the accumulated vine would rapidly become detrimental.

o

Thanks. So treat it as the group 3 it is, prune it to the ground and pull everything out of the tree every year. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here