Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with my clematis growing in shrubs

Posted by GreenHavenGarden none (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 23, 13 at 9:06

I planted a Villa De Lyon next to my Wine and Roses Weiglia because I wanted to add some interest to the shrub after its finished blooming for the year. Well, it worked. The villa de Lyon is blooming inside the weiglia and looks beautiful, but....
I didn't think this through and now I'm curious how to remove the vine from the shrub this winter without cutting down the shrub. If the vine blooms on new wood and the shrub blooms on old wood should I not pair them? I was thinking if I used a clematis that doesn't need cut back then they would end up blooming together which would be pretty but not what I had intended.
Could I cut the vine at the base and then leave the old stuff in the shub? Will that hurt the weiglia? Is it possible to pull out the old vines without hurting the shrub?
How do you guys do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with my clematis growing in shrubs

I cut the vines above the first set of buds and then just pull the clematis out. Once the vines are dead I don't find that they are too difficult to remove, but if you are concerned you can cut the vines into smaller pieces of a few feet before removing. I have V de L in an Endless Summer hydrangea as well as several other type 3 clematis in other shrubs ranging from dogwoods to H. paniculata to spruce to winterberry holly. I haven't ever done damage removing the dead vines.

o

Yes, wait until the vines have died back sufficiently (like in late winter when one is often instructed to prune back clematis), cut them back as babs suggests and then gently pull the vines out. The vines and leaf petioles that attach to the shrub will be dry and quite brittle and break away easily without damaging the shrub.

Sounds like a very nice combination! I grew a Nellie Moser through a purple smokebush in my old garden for a similar effect - loved it!!

o

Thank you for the advice. I'll wait for the vines to dry up before I try to remove them. I'm more confidant now knowing it can be done and has been done by other people. I planted quite a few to grow through shrubs but most are still in that "sleep" phase. I have a Huldine planted next to my purple smoke bush. He's just starting to take off. I bet the large flowers that Nelly has would look beautiful also and what a great color match! Thanks again. I almost moved VDL in a panic the other day :-/

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here