Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trowelgal

Clems all sold out, help please!

Hi,

I have been to several on-line nursery sites and all the Clems have a "sold out" notice. When do they usually offer Clems in the fall? I need 6-12 new ones and want to get them into the ground this fall. I am in the Kansas City area so if there is a nursery around here that anyone knows of that offers a good variety of Clems I would like that info too. The only ones I have found locally are the ones I already have. I would drive up to 30 miles. Thanks for any help you can share.

Trowelgal or Tina

Comments (19)

• janepa
    14 years ago

I, too, want to add some clematis to my garden this fall. Brushwood Nursery located in PA will soon be updating their website with what they will have available to ship in September. I will be placing an order with them. By checking the link you can see what they sell, but all of them will probably not be available. I am not in any way connected with this company.

You can get reviews on them by going to Dave's Garden and checking under Watchdog.

Good luck. Jane

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood Nursery

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I visited KC area late October last year and found a good selection of clematis at Soil Service Garden Center Nursery on Troost Ave. You might call and to find out what they still have available. 816-333-3232

Since we had visited Truman's Library I brought home 'The President'.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

Have you tried Garden Crossings? I bought several things from them this year and was very impressed! I also am not affiliated with GC but was happy with them. You can look them up on Daves Garden Watchdog (they are in the top 30). The site still has a lot of clems for sale and they are available it looks like.

Happy clemming!

• trowelgal Zone 5A, SW Iowa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to all who offered advice. I will follow-up.
    Tina

• lilgreenfrog
    14 years ago

Try Klehms - looks like they are sold out of some, but many are still available. I've never gotten clematis from them, but last year ordered peonies from them and I was very impressed. I'm expecting 3 clematis from them any day now! Also, they've got great customer service.
    Hope this helps; shipping isn't the cheapest, but seems comparable to other sites.

Best,
    Lara

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis at Song Sparrow

• summermusicz4ia
    14 years ago

I bought several from a huge nursery last fall just east of KC, near Lee's Summit, I think. They had a large selection. Will check with my daughter this weekend for the name of the nursery. She gave me a huge clem from Suburban this year that I have not seen elsewhere. When I visit DD in Olathe, we go nursery shopping. Don't do malls...who needs clothes when you can buy plants instead!!!

Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all your suggestions. Think I will be buying on line, the selection is so much better. After looking at Klehms Song Sparrow I think that's where I'll order. I want Vitacellas or Texensis varieties and they make a point of listing them so the buyer knows which is which. That detail is important when I am searching for only "species" clematis and not the hybrids. Thanks a lot LilGreenFrog.
    Tina

• lilgreenfrog
    14 years ago

Glad they had what you wanted! I got my three from them yesterday, and thought I'd share some pictures.

{{gwi:616031}}

Note that the pots are as tall as my sink...
    {{gwi:616032}}

This is less roots than the first one I planted had...I was worried about getting these established before frost, but after seeing the roots I am no longer concerned.
    {{gwi:616033}}

And a note about unpacking - those little metal trellises aren't attached to the pots, only the plants. So DON'T use them as handles to pull the plants out of the box. I learned that the almost hard way!

Best,
    Lara

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Lara,
    Those do look healthy, thanks for sharing. I am going to place my order next week. I will be out of town Sept.15-19th so don't want them to arrive while I am gone. I have an area where they will vine up and will have help prepping that area on Monday when my neighbor friend comes over to help me prepare the site. Three willow bushes have to be dug out and put elsewhere so the clems will be able to climb and be noticed. Christopher is 18 and very strong so I hire him when I need muscle. He also mows my grass all summer. I do flowers, not grass:) I have so many plants to move around this fall that it will be a race to get it all done so they can establish in time. I will thoroughly mulch the new Clems so they won't suffer over the winter. They will be in a protected site with a wooden fence and my house on one side and the neighbor's house on the other so I am not too concerned about them making it through the winter. All the other Clems in my yard come back each year.
    Do you have a lot of Clems? I think I have 16 that vine and also 4 that are integrefolias and don't vine. Soon I will have more! Also have an arbor leading to my backyard that has a variegated porceline berry vine and two clems on each side. I just love it! The Clems bloom in the spring then the P.B.V. takes off and right now it is full of the beautiful blue/purple berries.
    Thanks again for your pictures of the nice sized plants and healthy root systems.
    Tina

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    I ended up ordering from Silver Star Vinery and am very pleased. Wanted only species clems as in Viticellas or Texensis clems and found what I wanted there. Got Princess Dianas, Vineosa Violaceas and Huldines. They have arrived and look great! Tomorrow they go into the ground. This is a new area and I have high hopes for these three clems.
    Thanks to all who responded to help me.
    Tina

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

Hi trowelgal.
    You write about species clematis. But all those, you have mentioned are not species. Species clematis are the ones that grow in nature. Those you mention are all hybrids, man made.
    About wilt, it is mostly clematis from group 2(b)that gets wilt. But wilt is not always wilt (a fungus). Sometimes clematis witheres down, because their root system isn't developed fully, and just like other plants lets some leaves (stems) wither, to maintain water enough for the rest.But that is no reason to worry, they will come back, when their roots are enough developed.

Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi ingridkl,
    The clematis books I have and web searches I have done all show that the viticella and texensis clematis varieties are species clematis, originally found in the wild. Do you have different information to share with me?
    Tina

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

Its true, that there are found several wild forms of texensis and viticella, but the named sorts (princess Diana, Venosa Violacea, Huldine are man made hybrids.

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

Hi trowelgirl.
    I forgot to mention, that if you look in 'Clematis on the net' you can see if a plant is found in nature or is man made.

• gardenman50
    14 years ago

Sorry ingridld there is only one form of clematis viticella and texensis (unless you consider the Tarpley River form of texensis a separate species from the regular texensis)that are considered true species. There are hybrids of texensis such as Duchess of Albany, Gravetye Beauty,etc. and hybrids of viticella such as Black Prince, Blue Belle, Etoile Violette, Venosa Violacea, Huldine, etc, but there is generally considered only one true species called texensis and viticella.

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

That exactly what I mean, all the clematis trowelgirl mentioned are hybrids!

• gardenman50
    14 years ago

Not sure what you meant then when you said "there are found several wild forms of texensis and viticella". This statement seems to imply to me that that you were saying that there are several species of both viticella and texensis. The wild forms are generally thought of as the species since they are found growing in the wild and therefore not cross-pollinated versus the hybrids which are ones generally found in cultivated gardens.

• ingridkl
    14 years ago

I know. What I meant is that every species has a range of flowers, that can differ, but are still the same species.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Any plant with a cultivar name, which is shown like this 'Name Here' is a hybrid not the straight species.

Clematis texensis is the species, Clematis texensis 'Princess Diana' is not. It is a cultivated variety or hybrid of the species.

In my garden here in the Pacific Northwest the viticella and texensis hybrids get powdery mildew every year but the Type II hybrids don't. The Type IIIs have grown much larger, faster though.

Sponsored
Macanson Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Cabinetry & Flooring Company in Ashburn – Since 2013!