Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are these new guys gonna be ok in these pots until planting?

Posted by disneynut1977 5A Syracuse NY (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 5, 08 at 9:52

My clematis order showed up. I bought 4. I had read somewhere it's better to put them in a pot and let thier roots develope more than gently transplant them to thier perm. spot in the fall (instead of planting now). Which would work out best for me since the spots I have for them have MG there now. My ? is I potted them up in trade gallon pots I have left over and these pots are black in color. I realize they need thier roots cool, so I am worried about having them in these pots. I did top off each pot with 2 inches of mulch, but the sides of these pots still get hit with 3-4 hours direct sun a day. Are these roots gonna over heat? What else can I do.

Thank you so much for all your help
Melissa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are these new guys gonna be ok in these pots until planting?

Melissa..you didn't say from whom you ordered these clematis from as most of us are familiar with each Clematis Supplier and the sizes they ship..If they are very small..repotting into one gallon pots with some bonemeal and digging a hole in your garden and dropping in the pots..bring the soil up around the pots to insulate and keeping moist is adviseable..if they are mature then you can plant them directly into your gardens when the temps are cooler and keeping them moist...Jeanne

o

As long as you keep them well watered they should be fine. This may mean twice a day if it is really hot.

Remember, nurseries grow them in those black gallon pots by the thousands out in full sun......

o

I don't have a yard, just a balcony. All my clems are in pots and are fine that way. The cool roots thing is a myth. As long as you keep them well watered it'll be fine.

balcony 8-2-08

o

Did you mean Morning Glories are in the spot that you plan on putting the clematis? If that is the case you really need to make sure you remove all of the roots from the mgs as well as catch them before they drop seed. Have you been deadheading them? The mg's will compete vehemently with clematis.

o

I got these from an Ebay supplier.birdsongfarm. They don't have much top growth at all, maybe 6-8inches. They do have a good size clump of plump roots. The seller stated she keeps het clematis topped off to promote root growth. I have been checking them a couple times a day, since I'm on vac for the next 2 weeks and I have been outside every day. If it doesn't rain every few days, I do have to water some of my other pots and will do the same for them. It won't take much to water them every day if I have too.

Melissa

o
RE: Morning glories

I have only had 1 MG bloom so far that I did pluck off after wilting. My MG's really aren't doing much. I had them in part sun, because there was no where else to put them, than I had a fence put in, so I moved the MG's to the fence with full sun, they took to the move OK, just slow to start back up. I wanted to put clematis in instead because I don't want to have to worry about re doing MG's every year.

Melissa

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here