Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will Goodwin

Posted by peachymomo 9b (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 4, 10 at 10:29

The post about unrealistic catalog pics brought this clematis back to mind for me. I saw it first in a magazine and it was the most beautiful blue, a perfect baby blue like you usually only see in hydrangeas. I didn't live in a climate where I could grow clematis at the time and years later when I moved to a place where I could I tried to find it again and the company had pulled it from their website and catalog, when I searched online I only found pics of a much less impressive pale lavender flower.

I did a search again today and out of the mostly lavender flowers there were a few that were similar to that stunning blue I first saw in the magazine, are they real or fake? Has anyone grown Will Goodwin who can say what the real color looks like? With the perfect conditions can it turn blue?

If not, what is your favorite blue clematis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will Goodwin

I grow Will Goodwin. The first year in the ground it looked more blue. Now it is a pale bluish lavender. Still a very nice clematis IMO.

o

WG is a pretty bluish-lavender for me also. Rhapsody is the bluest I grow, love it.

o

Some Clematis are more blue than others but none are true pure blue like morning glories, forget me nots, hydrangeas in acid soil or delphiniums.

o

I have also fallen for blue photos, only to be disappointed when the bloom is more lavender, or a lighter blue. I'd say my hands-down favorite jewel-tone blue is Rhapsody, which is a show-stopper for me, but durandii and petit faucon are also good, and rooguchi is a lovely color but a different shape.

o

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has a photo of Rhapsody they can post? Close up and entire vine would be great! Thanks!

o

My Rhapsody is too young to have done much yet, but I linked below to the pics that won my heart and enabled me into buying Rhapsody!

As in most of these cases, Rhapsody is not a true blue. As harryshoe's pics show, it begins as a lovely purple clematis, but fades to bluish tones. My understanding is that that is the closest you will get to a blue clematis.

Kate

Here is a link that might be useful: Rhapsody

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here