Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rouge21_gw

Sweet Summer Love

This clematis was widely available last season so this year (2014) one should be able to evaluate its performance. Anyone have this blossom in their garden this year?

Comments (33)

• ked1985
    9 years ago

Actually curious about this as well. Relevant thread as I just ordered one from Hirt's last week and got a shipping email today.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    9 years ago

I planted one about a month ago so I'd also love to hear some feedback. I'm very excited about this one. :o)

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

So many of us interested in this one - no one with experience?

• kimka
    9 years ago

I'm particularly hoping to hear about its fragrance if any.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

In our area this clematis was not widely available until this year. I planted a two gallon one two weeks ago. Am hoping it may have a few blossoms yet before frost.

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Hi! I have one that I got in June, it was planted then and it began putting out new growth this month but doesn't appear to have any buds for flowers. I am not at all sure when they are supposed to bloom, one of my Sweet Autumns is blooming now and the other is budded up. I am wondering if this one is too young yet to bloom, it is about 3 ft. x 3ft. but a little thin looking compared to pictures I have seen.
    roseberri

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Mine, just like Roseberri's was planted in June and is about the same size - with absolutely no buds on it. I was just telling myself, maybe next year...

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Some critter has cut my vines off at 8 inches so no blooms for me this fall. Interesting that the vines on the other clematis in that area have not been clipped, yet.

• chills71
    9 years ago

I've got buds, a few, on an expensive nursery grown 5 gal plant.

I just recently bought it, so when I know more.... I'll let you know more.

~Chills

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

I planted Sweet Summer Love last fall and it is living and has grown but not a single bloom. I am a little concerned that it is not blooming. Any one else having trouble with this clematis? The old fashioned white clematis is blooming.
    Thanks, Brooks23

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Clems sleep the first year, creep the second, and leap the third, so yours may be too young to do much yet, but when it does bloom, please come back and let us all know how it is. I'm really curious.

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

opheliathornvt , Thanks for the information. I have written Garden Crossing where I bought the clematis in 2013 to see what they have to say. If I hear anything I will let you know.
    Brooks23

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

This is from Garden Crossing.
    Sweet Summer Love flowers on New growth. So you can trim it back in the fall. You can fertilize but I would not overdue it. We were just at a meeting today on shrubs and clematis and some of the other growers were asking about the blooming on it. Many had the same thing where it took 2 full growing season before they showed any flowers. My guess is that next year you will have a show.

I hope next year I have some blooms. I think I will trim it back in early spring not fall. What do you suggest.

• fleur_zone4
    9 years ago

I planted mine in June and it started flowering in late July. I had my last blooms about 10 days ago. The smell is absolutely divine, a mix of vanilla and almond I would say. It's in full sun, in sandy soil. I didn't fertilize it at all and I water about twice a week. Bonus : completely pest free in my backyard.
    When I got it it was quite small (maybe 18 inches high) and before I cut it yesterday, it was about 4 feet tall. I love this clematis and my husband wants me to plant at least 2-3 more next spring. Definitely a keeper for me!
    I have never smelled a regular white autumn clematis but if it's anything like this one, I want one too!

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

Fleur-zone4, Congratulations! I sure hope my blooms next summer.
    Brooks23

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

I really want one, even though I have NO place to put one!

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

I won't get any more unless I see a big improvement next year. Waiting 2 years for a clematis to bloom is not fun
    Brooks23

• ked1985
    9 years ago

Sounds lovely, Fleur-zone4! I planted mine about a month ago (it was very tiny) and it just sat for several weeks. But I noticed some new bottom growth this morning with the cooler temps, so I'm very excited about the spring!

• flowersaremusic
    9 years ago

Sweet Summer Love clematis has become one of my favorites. It was increasing in size in it's nursery pot before I could get it into the ground. After planting in early summer, it just took off and grew like Jack's Bean Stalk! Then, by August it was blooming like crazy. Heavenly fragrance and all those sweet little blossoms in shades of deep red to purple all at once. It looks as if it got several years growth in it's first year. I've never had a clematis this eager. It's growing with New Dawn Climbing rose on an arbor.

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

flowersaremusic, That is great! Would love to see a picture. Mine still is not blooming.:-(
    Brooks23

• rouge21_gw (CDN Z5b/6a)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd that request ie would love to see a picture in your gardens!

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    9 years ago

Yes please post a pic ! I have been following this thread waiting impatiently :) for someone with pics to post ! I bet it's beautiful with new dawn !

• flowersaremusic
    9 years ago

Ahh, no pics now, until spring. My growing season is over here in the north part of WA state. No blooms at present. I am watching with interest a Bees Jubilee clematis, still in it's nursery pot, that got lost after a wind storm. Found it during clean-up, completely dried up, cut it all the way back and planted it. It has also taken off with gusto. Only about 2' tall at present, but healthy and promises a good show come spring.

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

Can't wait until spring. Hope your Bees Jubilee grows and blooms.

• cherieoh
    9 years ago

I bought and planted Sweet Summer Love this past spring (2014) and it's growing nicely but no blooms. I didn't really expect any this first season though. Maybe next year but more likely the year after that. Really looking forward to that and hope there really is a fragrance as so many plants have promised a fragrance only to have none. What concerns me about this one so far is that it does not cling to the trellis by itself like my other clematis do. I have to tie this one up or it falls over. Is this normal for this particular clematis?

• Brooks23
    9 years ago

cherieoh, At first I had to guide my SSL but it is now 8 ft tall and grows in and out on my trellis. Of course no blooms yet but maybe next year.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    8 years ago

Sweet Summer Love has continued to grow like crazy and now, it's 2nd year, is half way across the top of my arbor, still blooming it's little heart out. I have not taken a photo because of my arbor. It needs replacing - and I don't know how to do that without cutting SSL and New Dawn rose way, way back. I do not even direct visitor's eyes toward the blooms of this clematis because of the arbor. Maybe by next year, it will be dense enough to cover the arbor. But, I LOVE this clematis. It is vigorous and just wants to grow and bloom. The fragrance is slighter this year, possibly because of nearly 2 months of 100 deg. heat or because the blooms are higher overhead.

• Brooks23
    8 years ago

My vine bloomed good this year but not as long as I thought. The bottom leaves are yellow. Do you think it has too much water? We have had a lot of rain this year.

• flowersaremusic z5 Eastern WA
    8 years ago

Hurrah! You got blooms this year. It is producing a good root system right now, and the blooms will follow. I have yellow leaves on everything this year. I'm sure I watered too much because of the extreme heat. It's hard not to when everything looks so droopy. Your yellowing SSL might benefit from a good layer of compost or natural, chemical free plant food. There is a good recipe to mix your own on rosemagazine.com. Even just a little Epsom salts might help with the yellowing leaves.

• Brooks23
    8 years ago

Thanks! I have epson salt

• flowergirl70ks
    8 years ago

I saw this blooming in the pot at of all places a hardware store. I was fascinated with the red and purple blooms. By the time I decided to buy it and went back they were all gone. they were in a gallon pot for $19.95.

• Michaela (Zone 5b - Iowa)
    8 years ago

Just found this photo of my SSL I took when I was going through my albums.

• mnwsgal
    8 years ago

Second year in the ground with good foliage growth but few blooms near the top of the stems and short bloom time. Did have a pleasant scent that wafted through the open patio doorway. Had some critter cut a few of the stems off above the fencing around the plant which cut down the amount of bloom. Perhaps I'll still get a second bloom if those regrown stems have time before a killing frost.