Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sweet Summer Love

Posted by rouge21 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 10:59

This clematis was widely available last season so this year (2014) one should be able to evaluate its performance. Anyone have this blossom in their garden this year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sweet Summer Love

Actually curious about this as well. Relevant thread as I just ordered one from Hirt's last week and got a shipping email today.

o

I planted one about a month ago so I'd also love to hear some feedback. I'm very excited about this one. :o)

o

So many of us interested in this one - no one with experience?

o

I'm particularly hoping to hear about its fragrance if any.

o

In our area this clematis was not widely available until this year. I planted a two gallon one two weeks ago. Am hoping it may have a few blossoms yet before frost.

o

Hi! I have one that I got in June, it was planted then and it began putting out new growth this month but doesn't appear to have any buds for flowers. I am not at all sure when they are supposed to bloom, one of my Sweet Autumns is blooming now and the other is budded up. I am wondering if this one is too young yet to bloom, it is about 3 ft. x 3ft. but a little thin looking compared to pictures I have seen.
roseberri

o

Mine, just like Roseberri's was planted in June and is about the same size - with absolutely no buds on it. I was just telling myself, maybe next year...

o

Some critter has cut my vines off at 8 inches so no blooms for me this fall. Interesting that the vines on the other clematis in that area have not been clipped, yet.

o

I've got buds, a few, on an expensive nursery grown 5 gal plant.

I just recently bought it, so when I know more.... I'll let you know more.

~Chills

o
RE: Sweet Summer Love not blooming

I planted Sweet Summer Love last fall and it is living and has grown but not a single bloom. I am a little concerned that it is not blooming. Any one else having trouble with this clematis? The old fashioned white clematis is blooming.
Thanks, Brooks23

o

Clems sleep the first year, creep the second, and leap the third, so yours may be too young to do much yet, but when it does bloom, please come back and let us all know how it is. I'm really curious.

o

opheliathornvt , Thanks for the information. I have written Garden Crossing where I bought the clematis in 2013 to see what they have to say. If I hear anything I will let you know.
Brooks23

o
RE: Sweet Summer Love/Garden Crossing

This is from Garden Crossing.
Sweet Summer Love flowers on New growth. So you can trim it back in the fall. You can fertilize but I would not overdue it. We were just at a meeting today on shrubs and clematis and some of the other growers were asking about the blooming on it. Many had the same thing where it took 2 full growing season before they showed any flowers. My guess is that next year you will have a show.

I hope next year I have some blooms. I think I will trim it back in early spring not fall. What do you suggest.

o

I planted mine in June and it started flowering in late July. I had my last blooms about 10 days ago. The smell is absolutely divine, a mix of vanilla and almond I would say. It's in full sun, in sandy soil. I didn't fertilize it at all and I water about twice a week. Bonus : completely pest free in my backyard.
When I got it it was quite small (maybe 18 inches high) and before I cut it yesterday, it was about 4 feet tall. I love this clematis and my husband wants me to plant at least 2-3 more next spring. Definitely a keeper for me!
I have never smelled a regular white autumn clematis but if it's anything like this one, I want one too!

o

Fleur-zone4, Congratulations! I sure hope my blooms next summer.
Brooks23

o

I really want one, even though I have NO place to put one!

o

I won't get any more unless I see a big improvement next year. Waiting 2 years for a clematis to bloom is not fun
Brooks23

o

Sounds lovely, Fleur-zone4! I planted mine about a month ago (it was very tiny) and it just sat for several weeks. But I noticed some new bottom growth this morning with the cooler temps, so I'm very excited about the spring!

o

Sweet Summer Love clematis has become one of my favorites. It was increasing in size in it's nursery pot before I could get it into the ground. After planting in early summer, it just took off and grew like Jack's Bean Stalk! Then, by August it was blooming like crazy. Heavenly fragrance and all those sweet little blossoms in shades of deep red to purple all at once. It looks as if it got several years growth in it's first year. I've never had a clematis this eager. It's growing with New Dawn Climbing rose on an arbor.

o

flowersaremusic, That is great! Would love to see a picture. Mine still is not blooming.:-(
Brooks23

o

2nd that request ie would love to see a picture in your gardens!

o

Yes please post a pic ! I have been following this thread waiting impatiently :) for someone with pics to post ! I bet it's beautiful with new dawn !

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here