Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
After mid-season pruning ...

Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 12 at 11:19

Hello Clematis lovers ~ just having learned a bit more about Clematis care & how to ~ have more wonderings!

I went ahead & pruned all of my 8 clemmies after the first surge of blooms in Spring & fertilized as suggested (didn't prune Blue Bell as it continuous to bloom). My ?? the new growths have smaller foliage & (a few now flushed) blooms are just as small. Is this as expected?

Many thanks for your thoughts!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: After mid-season pruning ...

Yes, also in my experience the numbers of flowers is slightly diminished and color saturation, especially of reds is diminished, but your experience in a more favorable climate may be better. Good luck....

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 22:50

Thank you for your reply ~ so even w/ a boost of fertilizer it still will not be as robust as in Spring. Well at least they are green w/ blooms unlike before when I didn't prune they were brown, crunchy & looking dead!

I wish the collectors in this forum would post pictures of their Clems in the second life after pruning! Would help reassure a few of us 2nd time beginners!!! TIA if you do!!!

o

Well, I didn't cut mine back and several are blooming again with normal sized blooms.

o

• Posted by ditas z 4b-5 Iowa (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 23, 12 at 16:14

Hi flowergirl70ks ~ didn't your clems go thru the *Sudden Wilt & dried-up Symdrome* in mid-Summer? Some of mine always did & all I could do was trim painfully all I could! Since I learned here that pruning down for a 2nd flush of vines & blooms ~ but this is what happend!

In the past years I always just left them alone ~ not all go thru the *SW syndrome* & they do rebloom as well as they did altho not as plentiful. The few that go thru the *SW syndrome* also re-surge as well, thru all the crusty-dried vines & foliage if I don't have the time to clean them up.

I'll try to find Alfalfa pellets in town for next season ~ I made the mistake of using the *alfalfa-horse feed blend* this year & was told I may have to deal w/ weed growing as well - sigh!!!

Sometimes one learns the hard way for love of plants!!!
FWIW & TIA

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here