Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wren_garden

The Truest Blue?

wren_garden
15 years ago

What Clematis is the truest Blue in your garden. I know that online photos and subjective descriptions can't be trusted. There is a portion of my garden that is meant to be Blues, Yellows and Whites which can hold 2 Clematis. Thank you!

Comments (9)

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

The closest you'll get would be Will Goodwin, Mrs. Cholmondeley and its sport Blue Light, followed by Prince Charles and Emilia Plater (bit more purple), followed by Rhapsody and Durandii (now we're at indigo blue).

• michael_in_chicago
    15 years ago

Oops, should have included in the first list a few non-climbers that are fairly true blue: Juuli and Arabella.

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

I love the white, yellow and blue along the highways right now. I know they are all weeds, but it makes me so happy to see that combination and I too want to repeat that in my garden.... somehow.

• wren_garden
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Michael, I almost picked up Will Goodwin this spring but wasn't sure. I have Arabella in her 3rd year. She is threaded up through a small pillar, blooming non stop, just gaining strength to join with a yellow rose next season. That was the plan anyway, which I will still do, but the rose, Buff Beauty is more Peach and Arabella is more purple then blue in my garden. This is why I turned to those with greater experience, those beautiful photos on the nursery sites are only a suggestion. No matter, too late, I love them anyway, Arabella and Buff Beauty that is. The hopes of Blue and Yellow have been assigned to another part of the garden. I know true blue in flowers is a relative term, but is great to have an idea where to start.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

"Rhapsody" is the bluist blue in my garden

• charlottev
    15 years ago

Ihave lots of blue clems in my garden and some are mixed with white and yellow, so it is a nice show when that happens. The timing is critical and sometimes I hit it right on, other times not so great. However, the best blues are:

Alpina Francis Rivis
    Prince Charles
    Mrs. Chumley
    Arabella (purple early, then blue later)
    Perle d'Azur
    Durandi (indigo blue)
    Blue Bell and Blue Boy

• pacnwgrdngirl
    15 years ago

I am getting my first blooms from Rhapsody right now. :o) It's pretty darn blue.

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

Here are a few blue clematis that are blooming in my garden now.

{{gwi:616525}}

TL Prince Charles, Emilia Platter, General Sikorski
    BL Blue Angel, Durandi & Arabella, Perle de Azure
    The blue color comes in all shades.

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

Great idea Karen! That helps ME out a ton with the side by side comparison. Thank you for posting that.