Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flower Size

Posted by LyndaNorthCoast 6aNY State (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 12 at 12:20

The Pink Champagne clematis I planted a couple of months ago just produced a flower. It's a dark pink, which I think is the color of "Pink Champagne," but the flower is only a few inches in diameter. Is it typical for a "first year flower" to be so small? There is only one flowering stem on the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flower Size

Hi! since no one has answered you, I will try;
first year clematis rarely perform as well as you would like. The adage is: First year it sleeps, second year it creeps,and third year it leaps so you may need to be patient. It is concentrating on growing roots this year.
roseberri

o

And prune it hard this season (late winter/early spring). Hard pruning will encourage additional stem development from the root crown, which should increase the potential for flowering.

A fertilizer with alfalfa as a ingredient after pruning should help as well. Alfalfa contains a natural plant growth hormone and encourages breaking from the root crown.

o

I have pink champagne as well. It will flower in spring on old wood. Those flowers are going to be much bigger. When my type 2's flower later in the summer they are a bonus but usually MUCH smaller than the original flowers and certainly not as many as the 1st flush. I *think* this has something to do with it flowering on new wood later in the season vs old wood earlier but don't quote me on that :) This will also happen with many double flowers. They will be double in spring on old wood but single in summer on new wood.
For what it's worth, my pink champagne has exactly 1 small flower right now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here