Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kentstar_gw

Just got my Sweet Autumn Clematis from Garden Crossings

kentstar
14 years ago

and it looks great. They were so fast with shipping. I ordered it Saturday and just got it today Tuesday. I can't wait to see it in action next spring and summer. I have a whole hedge line for it to grow up and through. I just hope it will have enough time now to settle in before winter comes here.

Comments (7)

• unprofessional
    14 years ago

I think you'll be just fine. I've done some fall planting just a couple of weeks before the first frost, before. Plant just looks like it withers away, and then pops right up first thing next spring.

• hibiscusjoe
    14 years ago

You've got more than enough time before winter in NE Ohio. Take time in the preparation. add lots of goodies when you amend the soil- it all pays off in the years to come.

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Your's are so beautiful! What kind of amendments do YOU add to the mix? I just add composted cow manure, peatmoss, sand if I have any, and I add a small amount of vermiculite. In late fall, about November, I will put worm castings over the bed, and maybe some alfalfa pellets, then work in in the spring.

• ditas
    14 years ago

Hi Kentstar - You do have plenty of time ... will grow 80'/season even w/ just a handful of cotton burr compost mixed in your native soil (of course amend if clayish).

Just to show you what an iron-like personality this garden beauty is ... after 3 yrs in the ground, had to move, after a late tornado took down her arbor along with her in Oct '08 ... couldn't dig the entire root-ball due to constraints (rocks & other plants) I dug up just a ft-round (w/ prayers & crossed fingers)this Spring - set her in a hole w/ tilled-in compost, back filled w/ same & watered well w/ MG root stimulator mix. The 1.5' tall SA with already a mass of greens, didn't even flinch!!! Â;)

A very negligible. yellowing/browning of greens, she took a bit of time to get going ... her roots got traumatized, after all. I created her an arbor-like trellis (HD plasti-coated-8' stakes & wire fencing) as she'll be moved once more in another year ... she is rapidly climbing w/ gusto, once more ... now on top of wire arbor, hurray!!! Â;)

FWIW & here's how she looked in '07 & '08 -click to see closely ... thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: SA Clem!

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Very pretty! What did you do about the seeding? I've been reading that it can seed itself all over the place. Then again, there are some others who don't have a problem with seeding.

• ditas
    14 years ago

G'morning Kentstar - Thank you for viewing (sorry too many pics in album).

I've read of the same & even suckering & crawling to neighbors' yards ... I was fortunate & w/ fingers crossed, she continues to be the way she is, in my piece of soil ... it's is just her 4th season (even if I consider this yr as a restart).

I read a few people in IL w/o the reported problems from others ... I talked to a few gardeners in in town, growing this beauty as well & was reassured!!! Â;)

You might call your reputable nurseries in your area, they are usually very helpful ... the Univ extension svc are, as well!

Good Luck & enjoy her lovely subtle scent as a bonus! Â;)

• kentstar
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks ditas! I am crossing my fingers to that in my northern zone that SAC won't crawl to my neighbors yard or pop up in my lawn. I have also read both accounts, and I guess I'll see! lol.
    I've heard "big" things about William Baffin rose too, and I planted one of those this year. Could be that both get so big that they meet eachother! lol But, my William Baffin is planted about 40 ft away from the SAC, so should be ok.

Sponsored
Iris Design Associates
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars22 Reviews
Northern Virginia Landscape Architect - 13x Best of Houzz Winner!