Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
planting clematis root

Posted by fourchildren Indiana (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 21, 12 at 14:01

I bought a bag of 1 root clematis ville de lyon in an "end of season clearance" bin and it says for spring planting. Can I plant it now?...or what do I do with it until spring planting time?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: planting clematis root

Pot it up with a good potting soil in a 1G nursery container (plant deep) and let it grow on for the rest of the season. Before really cold weather comes on, sink the pot into a loose soil, well-drained area of your garden and mulch well.

You could plant it out next spring but I find those packaged roots often need a bit more TLC than just a single season can provide. Personally, I'd wait to plant it in its permanent location until next fall, when the roots should have filled the container. btw, there IS some green growth on it now, isn't there?

o

No, there's nothing green about it...looks like a dead root. Is there any hope it will grow?

o

If it looks like a dead root, it most likely IS a dead root. Sorry :-( Bare root starts of clematis are just difficult to establish at even the most ideal time of year (late winter/early spring) but if they haven't had any attention at all, they are essentially garbage by this time of year.

But.......clematis can often offer some very surprising activity, coming to life after an extended period of inactivity. As you have nothing to lose, you might as well just go ahead and proceed as if it were alive and see what happens next spring. Stranger things have happened.....:-))

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here