Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seattlesciren_gw

Attempting to locate a Sweet Autumn Clematis

seattlesciren
14 years ago

Hello! I am attempting to find a place where I can purchase a Sweet Autumn Clematis. I have been looking just about everywhere! I just moved into a new house with a large fence I wish to cover in this vine and can't seem to locate one.

Anyone have any suggestions of where to look, certain nurseries, online etc? I would appreciate any help. :)

Comments (8)

• janepa
    14 years ago

I have bought daylilies from this vendor at least three times and have been very pleased.

Just remember, mail order plants are usually smaller than what can be bought at your local nursery/garden center. Sweet Autumn grows so very fast that I am sure it will be huge in no time at all. If you lived close by I would gladly give you some of mine. It takes over my arbor, even with early pruning. We need to find a way to control it more so that we can walk through the arbor without getting strangled. I wrapped wire around it to help hold it in but it didn't help much. My DH is 5'11" and definitely needs to duck. I leave the vine in place over the winter, and when it snows it looks like it is blooming again.

{{gwi:617137}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Where to buy Sweet Autumn clematis

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

From your screen name, I am assuming you are located in the Seattle area. There is usually no need for mail order in this area unless you are looking for quite uncommon varieties -- most local retail nurseries carry a very good selection. SAC, Clematis ternifolia, is typically available a bit later in the season, closer to its bloomtime (many garden centers only bring in clematis when they are in bloom - that's when they sell!). IME, Sky Nursery in Shoreline consistently has the best selection of clematis in the area, but I'd check with Swanson's or Molbak's as well. Sky will also take special orders.

• redsox_gw
    14 years ago

Just this week I saw a SAC for sale at my local grocery. Perhaps a large grocery in your area will carry it as well. Our local grocery really carries some decent plants.

• iris_9
    14 years ago

I ordered SAC and Huldine by mail in June from Digging Dog Nursery in Albion CA. That's in northern CA near Ukiah. I live in central CA and was going to be out of town by the end of the week. They were nice enough to send them to me within 2 days. They arrived in excellent condition and I transplanted them to one gallon containers. Since our summers are very hot and dry, I am keeping them in the containers and in a shady location until fall. I have already prepared a 24" X 24" hole for planting in Sept. That was quite a task, but I'm retired and had the time! I really want to grow SAC so I'm hoping for the best.

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I've read that it spreads everywhere by seeds from the buds, and that you would have to deadhead every bloom to keep it in control. Is this correct? I found White flower farm is selling SAC.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    14 years ago

It depends on where you are located. SAC is listed as invasive in various locations -- primarily in the southeast -- and has naturalized in various other areas, including parts of the midwest. Here in the PNW, I have never seen seedlings of SAC (and I've grown one for going on 20 years) nor have I heard of them occurring from other local gardeners. In fact, discovering that this plant was considered problematic anywhere prompted me to post the attached thread several years ago.

Here is a link that might be useful: SAC invasive thread

• janepa
    14 years ago

I have never seen seedling, nor have my friends. We live in central PA.

Good luck with your SAC.

Jane

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I just bought one today from Garden Crossings. They are a great place to buy from as per Dave's Watchdog. I've bought clems there before and they always come in great shape, large, and healthy! Good clemming!

Here is a link that might be useful: Sweet Autumn Clematis Terniflora at Garden Crossings