Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
coloradobird

Are you growing Ville de Lyon?

coloradobird
17 years ago

Hi, after my last post and the helpful suggestions, I went ahead and ordered 'Ville de Lyon' and 'Comtesse de Bouchaud' from Brushwood. I thought the two would look lovely together. HOWEVER, I am now concerned about the color of Ville de L.

The photos I saw looked like a deep pink/purple, but written descriptions say it is carmine red. (See link below) I am thinking if it is a real red, it's not going to look too great with Comtesse's pale pink.

Am I having one of those problems with photos on the Web not showing the true color? Before I plant these two together, I think I'd better find out what it's going to look like when it's flowering. What color are your Ville de Lyon's flowers?

Thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo and description of Ville de Lyon

Comments (30)

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Now I see from reading an old post that I shouldn't have bought a pruning group 2 and a group 3 to plant together. Is this going to be a real problem later on? Maybe I should call and see if they will allow me to sub one of my plants? Help!

• bob414
    17 years ago

I grow those two togather. When the pic was made climbing rose sombrieul was growing through them, but it got unmanageable and I removed it. The picture was made last year. I don't have a picture from this year and after they finished blooming I cut them all the way back and they are starting to bud out now. In about 2 weeks they will be in bloom again. I prune them alike. Cut them all the way back in late winter and again after they finish blooming.

{{gwi:617178}}

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Well I would say it does sort of open a redish color but it fades to a fushia pink. I'm sure the two you have picked will look fine together. And I have read that if you put a pruneing group 2 with a 3 you just prune like 3 - you will still get blooms on the 2 variety - just a little later.
    {{gwi:570547}}

{{gwi:617181}}

Golden

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks, Bob and Golden! How cool that you are growing (and had a photo to post) of the same combination, Bob. They DO look good together.

Lovely photos, Golden--I guess maybe it is reddish around the outside edge, and more of a fuschia color inside? Btw, what is the little white one you've got there? I'm thinking of a white for another spot.

I will follow your advice and cut them both back late winter and after bloom.

I'm grateful for this forum, and people who know what they're doing! I almost called and changed my order, but you have set my mind at ease.

Thank you!

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

I think you will really like Ville de Lyon - it is really very pretty. Funny thing is once you start buying clematis - you just seem to keep buying - at least I did and I find most people do - lol. The white clem in the picture there is Marie Boisselot. I just planted it this year. Golden

• dolatbanu
    17 years ago

If you are planting 2 clematiis together, how close would you plant them, so that they mingle when they grow. Wouls 2 feet be okay ? I am thinking of Elsa Spath and Gilian blades as companions.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

2 Feet apart is just purrrrfect!! Gorgeous Pics Lynn and Bob!!...Jeanne

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Golden, I see what you mean--I have already decided I need more and I haven't even got my first two yet! I just hope I can manage to do everything right so they look as beautiful as yours do. Do you mind if I ask what fertilizer you use and how often?

Thanks!

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Well I have had the odd ups and downs thats for sure - Ive got wilt a few times with different clems. But they have all seemed to recover - I even had one clem not even show its face (twigg or anything) last year - thought it was dead as a door nail - untill this year it suddenly sprung up and looks healthier than ever - actually I dont even know what the name of it is now - as I thought it was dead and just plain forgot about it. Anyways still waiting for it to actually flower though??
    By the way I use a fertilizer called So-Green - Clematis & Vine food. But if you cant find that you can use Rose food. And I have just sprinkled it on every 6 - 8 weeks in the growing season - but always remember to stop once the buds form or you will rush the blooming time.
    Alot of my clematis are just young as I went NUTS buying them this year. I think I have just about planted clems everywhere I can find a spot too - lol.
    Just make sure you plant the clems as per the instructions(as that is very important) and give them plenty of water and you will do fine ! Best of luck!! Golden

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for the fertilizer info. So once they are about to flower, I stop fertilizing for the rest of the season? (For groups 2 & 3, which is what I ordered.)

Thanks for your help.

• buyorsell888
    17 years ago

Aren't both Ville de Lyon and Comtesse de Bouchard pruning type 3? Not that it really matters a whole lot, I'm certainly finding you can prune 3's as 2's and vice versa.

I have Ville de Lyon planted with a pale pink mini climbing rose, Jeannie La Joie and the combo is great.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Buyorsesll, on the Brushwood site, Ville de Lyon is listed as group 2. But since I'm going to plant the group 2 close to the group 3, they are both going to be group 3 for all intents and purposes.

I'm glad to hear your combo works, I think mine will be similar, color-wise. Jeanne is a beautiful rose.

• golden_ca_2000
    17 years ago

Well I think they are wrong on the Brushwood site - Ville de lyon is a hard prune - group 3. Golden

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

Lynn is correct..it's a pruning group 3..always consult COTW to be sure...Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: How To Prune Clematis

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I did a quick search and most Websites do say group 3; one said "Pruning group B or C." It seems like a consensus to me! It's just as well, since I was going to treat it as a group 3, anyway.

• coloradobird
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Jeanne, I see I missed your post as I was also posting! Thanks for the link; it's good to know where to go for the final word.

• jeanne_texas
    17 years ago

ColoradoBird!!..You are so welcomed..I ALWAYS refer to COTW!!..That is the Clematis Bible IMHO..Just go to main page and click on CLEMATIS A-Z and then the first letter of the clematis name...you can also use the Search feature for Identifying...or dreaming..by colour...by pruning group...by blooming period...just a wonderful site that I use almost daily....Jeanne

• both
    15 years ago

I am pulling this thread back up because I want to know how your Ville De Lyon are doing with type 3 prunning? I prunned mine as a type 3 because that is what I thought it was, and now I see in Bluestone Perennials it is listed as type 2. Just thought I would see what people think. Amy

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

I am still Hard pruning mine..I have two now...what a wonderful clematis!!..Jeanne

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

I pruned mine as a 3, in midApril, as soon as I could see leaf buds. It has put out a lot of new stems.

Marie

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

I've had mine several years and treat as type 3. Blooms well.

• gjbeaudin
    15 years ago

Can someone comment on the vine size/strength of this clematis? Compared to other clematis we have this one has a much stronger vine system almost comparable to a grape vine. Living in Minnesota this is a big plus for us. Or other clematis have vines that a much smaller and almost angle hair size. As noted this Ville De Lyon has the texture of a grape vine. Can someone tell me if this is normal for this plant? Are there others that have this trait?

• eden_in_me
    15 years ago

The vine diameter sometimes increases with age, but on the other hand, some varieties stay more skinny. In Maine, I prefer the thick vined ones too, but it won't stop me if it is thin and I like it, just have to be more careful when training to a trellis etc.

Marie Boisselot has the thickest new vines, but she is one of the oldest in my garden.

Marie

• pmermakov
    13 years ago

Hi, I bought a clematis about 7 years ago from Park Seeds and I think it might be Ville De Lyon. It is not red at all, but to me it is more of a hot pink with darker edges... I wish I know for sure what the name is on mine. If anyone has any idea, I would be most grateful!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers in Mercy's Garden

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    13 years ago

Your link tells me that it is unavailable and that I may not have permission. Here is my V de L in its first year, growing through a hydrangea.
    {{gwi:617184}}From garden photos 07

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

Oh, be still my heart. How perfect.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Ville de Lyon is easy to identify, there is no other Clematis like it.

{{gwi:593094}}

• virakech
    13 years ago

{{gwi:617187}}

it's one of my favorites.

• bill14150
    11 years ago

I see the span of this thread was from 2006 to 2010, 4 years. Well, now it's 6 years. LOL! Just orderd a Ville de Lyon from a reputable seller on eBay, good product as I've ordered from them two other times this year so far. I went a bit 'Clematis Crazy' this year. I've had a Jackmanii since about 1980. Two years ago I added a Henryii and last year I added 'Will Goodwin' and Comtesse de Bouchard' I have a corner of the yard where I have an arbor, several poles and trellis's where I have grown annual vines for many years. Decided to go with clematis and end the yearly replanting. Well, so far I have added 34 new clematis to that corner. I think it will be quite spectacular in a few years!

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    11 years ago

Bill, that sounds lovely. You must show us pictures when they finally bloom.

Kate

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting