Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ament1970

Any idea what it is?

Ament
12 years ago

Well, since it turned out not to be a Fireworks Clematis, does anyone have any idea what this clematis might be? :)

{{gwi:608302}}

Thank you,

~Tina

Comments (10)

• bob414
    12 years ago

You might try doing a search at Clematis on the Web. Fill in all the information you can then click 'search now' and it will give you a list of choices. Look through them and see if you can pick it out.

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Since I don't know how to describe these in the form they require on that particular site it doesn't do me one bit of good. Thanks though. Guess I'll have to go through the pictures and hope I can find one like it. Maybe get lucky and spot mine.

~Tina

• eden_in_me
    12 years ago

Looks like Fireworks. The color on th boss may change as it ages.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    12 years ago

You don't need to fill out all the parts of the form on Clematis on the Web. For the ones you leave blank, the search will allow any clematis that fits the parts of the form you have filled in. I regularly do searches with only the name or with just the flower color and group/type filled in.

Here is a link that might be useful: clematis on the web search page

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I tried partial searches with that website. It didn't want to work for me. No big deal. :) Thanks though. I don't know what else to do. Some say it is a Fireworks, others say it isn't.

~Tina

• roseberri, z6
    12 years ago

hi Tina,
    I am a lurker on the site, I have some clematis but am by no means an expert!
    I think it is very hard to ID plants on the web; color can be so flaky on the monitors, but you do the best you can.
    If I remember right this is a fairly new plant for you, and I think that sometimes especially in unusual weather conditions these new plants dont look exactly like they are supposed to. You may have to give it several seasons to get a good ID, in the meantime, enjoy it!
    roseberri

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Roseberri,
    I was away for awhile due to my mother visiting and husband having the laptop up north while he was up on the family farm helping harvest. :) The clem is fixing to bloom again. So who knows... I'll get another picture and I also bought two more clems. One is supposed to be a Star of India and the other a Wada's Primrose. I plan to plant those out front. Between the American Linden and the Blue spruce we ordered. I've got a shepherds hook that I hang a bird feeder on and I intend to layer the Primrose and star of india over the winter so that I don't have to purchase more of them. :)

As for the one in the back yard, Fireworks or not, it is a lovely clem and I will enjoy it regardless of knowing its name. Heh

~Tina

• eden_in_me
    12 years ago

Wada is one of my earliest flowering type 2s.
    For several years I had it planted in the sun on the E side of the house, but the sun usually helped it grow large BUT the flowers opened too early and were small and looked like sick daisies.

Last year I dug it up and divided the enormous rootball (but only one division survived) and planted in tubs in a more NE location, shaded by a homemade arch/arbor which was fully covered by climbing hydrangia on the S side. This delayed the flowering a little, but the first few flowers didn't look good enough to keep. The vine growth wasn't hurt a bit by the shading, and later flowers looked almost as good s when I bought it (greenhouse grown).

You should be aware that Wada & Gipsy are different pruning types. Wada is a type 2 like the "fireworks", but Gipsy is a type 3 and will flower best if cut down in early Spring, when Forsythias are in bloom. Otherwise the flowers may be only on the very ends of the vines. Also, pruning low will encourage more branching of the stems and new stems coming up from the roots.

If the purpose is to climb into the trees, you may want to leave some stems longer. If the new Spruce is still small, either of these clems could overwhelm it.

• Ament
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the info on the two Clems Eden,
    Neither clem will be planted near enough to the spruce for either of them to climb on the spruce. I want to build a chicken wire frame up the shepherds hook I have in my front yard. Not one that will stand out but of a fine enough wire to hide it and provide support for the clems to climb on. :) My linden is on the east side of the front yard and the spruce will be on the west side. Placing the clems and shepherds hook between the two. So that they will still get decent sunlight, but not scorching sunlight.

The fireworks clem is in my backyard, on an east facing trellis so that it can climb up the deck. It currently has a bloom soon to open. So does the Star of India. I figure once both have bloomed then I'll plant the two new clems in the ground. I didn't want to shock the two new clems when one of them had a new bloom in the making. :P I would like to enjoy the bloom before I have to deal with winter. Hehe!

~Tina