Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
audreyrama

How Close is Too Close? Clematis Filigree in front of Vining Clem

audreyrama
10 years ago

Hi All,
This Forum is so quiet compared to last year! I do have a question though.
I have a raised bed that I set up last year with Concrete stone against a fence, Some of the clematis do fine at the base but some have had the leaves burnt off the first 8 inches coming off the ground till they hit the green Vinyl coated wire fence behind them. I'm thinking the the concrete stone is radiating to much heat and frying them.
Like I said some are fine like the jackmanii, some not so good and the bottom of stems really look like crap before giving way to lush green leaves once it hits the fence.
I really want to plant some non-climbing mounding Clematis plants in front oft them to give some shade next year. I'm thinking I'd have to stagger them in between existing clematis plants so that the mounding Filigree clematis plants kinda shades the concrete.

Would this work? I realised I would maybe have to remove some existing clems to make room as I already have them planted about 8 inches apart.
Does anyone have any other ideas? Another idea I toyed with was Maybe leaving the Mounding clems in Some brown pots and just tuck them in between existing pots but I'm in Zone 5 and don't think they'd overwinter in pots well here.
I have lots of room in the center of the beds and will def have to put in some pavers next year once i fill in with more plants..

Comments (2)