Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help confirm IDs

Posted by mnwsgal 4 Henn MN (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 15:29

COTW search does not work for me. I keep getting "no results". Through other sources I have tentatively identified these two clematis. Please tell me if you agree.

This clematis was mislabeled 'Betty Corning'. I think it is a viticella 'Purpurea Plena Elegans'. Started blooming late June and still in full bloom. It has grown and flowered in a large container for two years. Out of full sun the color is more of a dusty purple.

This clematis was unidentified. I think it may be a viticella 'John Treasure'.
The second photo is a more true color. Open bloom as in the other two is a lighter reddish purple.

Do you think these are right?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help confirm IDs

Yes the first one looks like PPE. The second one I am not sure of. Is it herbaceous? Does it die back to the ground every year? Does it climb? How tall does it get? Viticellas usually get big and climb. Integrifolias stay small. How old is your plant? It looks a little like my Inspiration which is an integrifolia.

o

Thanks flowerfan2 for the confirmation of PPE.

The second one does look like 'Inspiration'. My plant is only two years old so has been pinched back and this spring was hail damaged to the ground so am not sure of mature height. I bought it from Rice Creek Gardens when they closed (due to hwy expansion) on the last day. They were known for having unusual varieties as well as the more common ones. The plant was not labeled.

It is 4' tall and climbing on a trellis now. The blooms are 5" wide and more a reddish purple rather than pink. The low blooms in the photos are on a vine that was hanging down.

I see 'Inspiration' is a semi-climber. This clematis does not act like my c. integrifolia 'Bushy Blue Bell'. The leaves are also wider on this clematis.

It is herbaceous and appears to die back to the ground with the frost. I have about 30 different varieties of clematis. Most are P3 and the P2s have been treated the same as they are just 2 years old. This spring I will leave some old wood on the P2s for spring bloom.

I guess time will tell if it will grow like a viticella or not next year.

o

PPE for sure, flowerfan is also right that the second one looks a lot like Inspiration.

My viticellas were unmistakable in growth the second year despite hard pruning and pinching. They are all bigger than ten year old type II's and not three yet.

o

I don't get full growth from my viticellas until at least the third year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here