Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two Different Clems? (pics)

Posted by pacnwgrdngirl z8 WA (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 18, 08 at 16:48

Hello. I gave my Carnaby a pretty hard prune this year. There are two different looking flowers right now - check it out.

Carnaby
Carnaby Clematis
Weird One
? Clematis

I know sometimes the flowers can look different, but these look really different. They are weaved in with Carnaby on the same trellis right now both blooming at the same time. Carnaby doesn't look like this when faded out at all either. I have lived here for 4 years and never noticed it before. (Carnaby was a huge, overgrown mess too. Maybe hiding it.) This was already here when I moved in. What do you think? Are they the same?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two Different Clems? (pics)

Yes, it looks like 2 different clematis to me also. It could be a seedling of Carnaby. My clematis are always producing lots of seedlings that pop up close to the parent plant. The seedlings take a year to germinate and then usually 3 more years to bloom, so that is why you never saw the blooms before. I usually let them grow until they flower. I keep the ones I like and give the rest away or compost them if they are not garden worthy. Seedlings may look nothing like the parent plant.

o
RE: Two Different Clems? (pics)

That is a very logical explanation flowerfan! Thanks so much. :o) I went back out and looked at it closer and even the leaves are a different color and different looking. The purple one is about done and Canrnaby is just getting going. I think I will leave it be because the bloom cycles are a little bit different. The trellis has a bit more interest this way.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here