Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buyorsell888

I've got ONE left alive from Chalk Hill

buyorsell888
13 years ago

'Mary Rose' is the only one of the six still alive. One expensive Clematis. I planted 'Tie Dye' this spring and it promptly withered away to nothing. There is no crown in the soil that I can find. That happened to 'Brunette' and 'Rosa Konigskind' last year and 'Lady Grey' did it in the gallon pot. I kept the pot and keep watering it and keep watering the spots in the ground but I will be very surprised if these ever recover.

Comments (8)

• dublinbay z6 (KS)
    13 years ago

Gee, sorry to hear the news. But who know? Maybe next spring will bring a surprise. I've several times had clems that "disappeared" not long after planting--I finally gave them up as goners--and the next year, there they were again! Hope that will be yours also.

Kate

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

Yes, I'm afraid I didn't do too well with Chalk Hill either. One, I know, is underground waiting for spring, because when I tried to plant another one in the same place, I unearthed a batch of roots with 3 white shoots attached. I re-covered it, marked it carefully, and have been watering and fertilizing its location this summer, hoping it will appear next spring. BUT, I know some I ordered won't be back, because there's no sign of any roots or crown there.

• mmd4
    13 years ago

I planted two SACs approx. 7 years ago. Only one grew, I just noticed the other one coming up. Planted two Bees Jubilee 5 years ago, only one grew, also noticed the other one coming up last week. I am never going to declared a clematis as dead again.

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I forgot about Cassis being DOA so I paid over $80 for one survivor.

Four of these Clematis have already had a year to come back from the dead. Careful digging in the pots and area where they were planted revealed no roots or shoots or crown.

I'm hoping that Tie Dye comes back since it was actively growing when I planted it out. It reached two feet tall and had multiple stems.

• kentstar
    13 years ago

My Josephine and Franziska Maria aren't back up yet. I thought I would help them develop a better root system by cutting them back to the ground. What a dummy! That was almost 2 months ago now! (Both were in their third year now, and still gangly and only had a couple vines) I still hold out hope that next year will see them back. I will do no more cutting back to the ground unless they wilt on me. I promise, cross my heart, and hope to be a better gardener lol..

• buyorsell888
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I've cut many to the ground or almost to the ground (less than six inches) It doens't hurt them at all. You did nothing wrong. Hard pruning helps Clematis it doesn't hurt them.

• organic_kitten
    13 years ago

I've got two of twelve. Expensive lesson. But my Joy Creek's are doing fabulously.
    kay

• hosenemesis
    13 years ago

One of two from Silver Star lived, the color of second choice, of course.
    It's too much money for the small plants I have gotten mail order, and after shipping and dying, I spent over 50 bucks for a tiny plant in a color I don't care for.

I went to a local nursery and bought a huge five gallon Julia Correvon in full bloom for 54 bucks. At least it will take me longer to kill a big plant.

Renee

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath