Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coming soon... a clematis forest?!

Posted by woodyoak 5 (Canada) (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 17, 14 at 17:19

We were at RBG (Royal Botanical Gardens) this afternoon and I think the folk on this forum may be interested in the supports they are using for their clematis collection - they have just finished a renovation of some of their collections and I really like what they've done with the clematises. It's going to be interesting to see what this looks like when the clematises have climbed the supports!

Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

It's going to make for an interesting 'forest'.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coming soon... a clematis forest?!

That is very interesting. I will be waiting for photos of the forest in bloom as well. Thanks for sharing these beginning photos.

o

What are the trees made out of? That looks really interesting and good looking even without the clems .

o

• Posted by dbarron Z6/7 (Oklahoma) (My Page) on
    Mon, Aug 18, 14 at 10:41

That will really suit the clematis...getting them up in a tree ;)

o

The 'trees' are made from welded iron rods, rusted. Here are closer views of the trunk and top:

o

Cool - thanks.

o

Wow - Very interesting!!

o

woody, i am very intrigued by this clem tree idea but i confess that (maybe i'm completely wrong here) i don't see it working well. I have many 'obelisks' planted with clems, and the plants seem to need the width, ~18" , to contain them w/o looking too wild/chaotic. But then again, my obelisks are not as tall as those 'trees' so maybe their height and the width of the tree branches at the top- takes care of the containment issue.... I can't wait to see how they fill up at maturity. I wonder if the clems are going to be able to grow up the rebar or if they'll need help w/ C clips or something? I read that clems like to be able to attach their tendrils every 6" or so.

But it would be so great if the rebar tree idea does work; trees scattered about through both display and naturalistic garden beds- would be great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here