Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
claire_pickett

Volunteers all over

Claire Pickett
9 years ago

Do Clematis readily seed in the garden. This year I am not sure if they are climbing weeds, but plants with leaves and habit just like Clematis are everywhere.

Can anyone comment?

Claire

Comments (6)

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

It depends on the clematis and the area and whether or not one mulches and if the weather is cooperative.

While others have posted occasional seedlings from their clematis I haven't had much self seeding from the over 100 clematis that I grow. Recta has self seeded with three young plants this past 2 years. And clematis serifolia has started seeding about. I pulled that one as don't want to deal with its seedlings. Clematis Sweet Autumn has become an invasive plant with its seedlings in many parts of the US.

• Claire Pickett
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I know, here in NC, Paniculata is in bloom now and it's everywhere. It nearly killed a climbing rose of mine.

My vines must be weeks. It's amazing how they mimic clematis.

Thanks...do you grow Ruguchi? It's my favorite.

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

If you are not sure you might watch them or pot them up and see if they flower next year. Weeds will likely flower this year and then you will know to pull them.

I have a young Rooguchi that was planted this year. Have heard great comments about it.

• pitimpinai
    9 years ago

I have 23 different Clematis in my garden. The only Clematis that reseeds freely in my garden is C. terniflora - Sweet Autumn. I just about pull my hair because they are very difficult to pull out.

C. jackmanii has produced two seedlings for me. And that is the extent of seedlings in my garden.

• Claire Pickett
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, you guys! Yes they are Sweet Autumn paniculata. One of them just bloomed. I used to have a big one that was killing a climbing rose so these are its offspring.

They are all over the roadways in my area near Sanford right now. I did not realize they were so invasive. I will pick and choose which ones I keep, I guess. Hard for me to kill anything flowering...LOL.

BTW, why don't I get emails when someone posts to my question. Do you have to be a paying member?

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

As far as I know there are no paid memberships at GW. Did you check the box below the posting box for e-mail notification? Seems I have heard others complain about erratic notification so may be a GW internal problem.

Glad you were able to identify your clematis plants. Wish I could take one of your rejects as my SA have never seeded and I killed another one last winter when I tried to overwinter it in a wooden barrel. Saw some plants in bloom but they didn't have much scent so will be looking at other places here. I miss that wonderful fragrance.

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer