Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryneedssleep_gw

Unrealistic catalog image?

maryneedssleep
13 years ago

I realize many nursery catalogs use ridiculous, artificial images to promote plants (this guy collects examples), but I stumbled upon this image and fell in love:

{{gwi:618463}}

I was wondering if something similar might be possible. Your thoughts? I have never planted clematis before.

That particular example seems to be mixing Group 2 and 3 cultivars, which I should avoid, right? (Can't buy from that company anyway, as it's British and I live in the U.S)

I have room for them on one leg of a grape trellis. I would put some kind of wire around the trellis post... about what diameter would I need for about 4 cultivars? How far apart do I want to space the plants? Any tricks for training them to cover the wire as thickly as that picture? How many plants do you think they used?

Some questions on cultivars, would love your thoughts--Pruning Group 2 seems to have larger flowers than Group 3, but are they really much more susceptible to wilt?

Combinations I thought might be good (I would like to pick one group or the other):

Group 2 -- Nelly Moser, Kingfisher or Lasurstern or Multi Blue, Rebecca, Fireworks, Guernsey Cream

Group 3 -- Jackmanii Superba, Ville de Lyon, Rhapsody, Ramona

Comments (2)