Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unrealistic catalog image?

Posted by maryneedssleep 5b/6a WV (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 2, 10 at 19:10

I realize many nursery catalogs use ridiculous, artificial images to promote plants (this guy collects examples), but I stumbled upon this image and fell in love:

I was wondering if something similar might be possible. Your thoughts? I have never planted clematis before.

That particular example seems to be mixing Group 2 and 3 cultivars, which I should avoid, right? (Can't buy from that company anyway, as it's British and I live in the U.S)

I have room for them on one leg of a grape trellis. I would put some kind of wire around the trellis post... about what diameter would I need for about 4 cultivars? How far apart do I want to space the plants? Any tricks for training them to cover the wire as thickly as that picture? How many plants do you think they used?

Some questions on cultivars, would love your thoughts--Pruning Group 2 seems to have larger flowers than Group 3, but are they really much more susceptible to wilt?

Combinations I thought might be good (I would like to pick one group or the other):
Group 2 -- Nelly Moser, Kingfisher or Lasurstern or Multi Blue, Rebecca, Fireworks, Guernsey Cream
Group 3 -- Jackmanii Superba, Ville de Lyon, Rhapsody, Ramona

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unrealistic catalog image?

That image is unrealistic for sure. Very Photoshopped.

Ville de Lyon is not in that picture by the way, and Multi-Blue is the wrong color.

They don't even flower at the same time. Multi-Blue and Nelly are done long before Ville de Lyon and Jackmanni start.

o
RE: Unrealistic catalog image?

• Posted by katie Zone 8a NoCA (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 3, 10 at 14:53

For your first foray into the clematis group you may want to pick from Group 3 clematis. They are easier to prune, just cut back in the winter to 12" to 18". They will also work their way into your grape vines as they get older and larger.

Any and all color combinations seem to work. I love blue/purple with light blue. I even like reds with pinks because most reds are magenta or wine colored.

I put green vinyl wire loosely around my posts. They love to cling and climb on the wire. I put 2-4 clematis around each post.

They don't like competition from other roots such as trees. They do love good amended soil (like chicken manure) and frequent watering when it's dry and hot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here