Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Plant Clematis 'Sucker'

Posted by judith5bmontreal (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 30, 08 at 20:04

A friend gave me this clematis sucker of H F Young, which had rooted beside the mother plant. She thought it was dead, but stuck it in a pot just in case. Now, it has sprouted several stems, and they appear very healthy. I need to get it in the garden right now, as winter (ugh) is only a few months away. Would I plant it the same depth as in the pot, or bury the long 'neck' part? Should I mulch it by covering all that new, tender growth completely? Here are two photos to show exactly what I have. I would appreciate any advice you can give me, as I would really like this lovely clematis to make it. Thanks,
Judith

HF Young Roots

HF Young Roots II

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Plant Clematis 'Sucker'

If you can't wait to let it grow a bit longer because of weather go ahead and bury it. You want the crown to be under the soil by two or three inches.

o

I'm not in Montreal, but would probably baby it like this: plant it deeply so that the green parts are about 2" below ground level, but I'd leave them uncovered to photosynthesize until they've succumbed to frost or grown above ground level. Then I'd mulch/cover them up. The more sun it can photosynthesize the more energy it has to grow. Good luck! HFY is a nice bluish flower.

o

Thank you both for your advice! I went ahead and planted it just as you said, and will keep my fingers crossed. If this winter is anything like the last one, everything should also be well-buried and protected under lots of snow.

Judith

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here