Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aconiteandy

New clematis cuttings.

aconiteandy
11 years ago

Hello everyone! We have been trying to root a cutting off of a neighbors clematis for the last 5 seasons. FINALLY this spring I stumbled on the "bubbler method" thread. It works. Both cuttings sat in the water for about 2 months gathering algae, the leaves slowly browning out and finally completely browning out. About the time that occurred one sent out a root and it's pitiful little shriveled bud turned green and started to grow. The other sent out a tiny root and had new growth under the water.

Anyway they are both now in dirt and doing well. The bigger is about 3" long and is starting to be a vine. The smaller has one set of leaves and is still in a cloche for humidity.

My point, yes I do have one is what to do with them this winter. Should I allow them to grow in my greenhouse window for the winter to gain roots and strength or go ahead and plant them outside? I would hate to lose them. I wonder if they can survive winter being so new.

I would very appreciate any suggestions folks might have.

I am including a picture. The large cutting is in the terra cotta pot, the smaller is just to the right behind the glass cloche.

Andy

Comments (2)