Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New clematis cuttings.

Posted by aconiteandy z 4 mpls (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 26, 12 at 20:13

Hello everyone! We have been trying to root a cutting off of a neighbors clematis for the last 5 seasons. FINALLY this spring I stumbled on the "bubbler method" thread. It works. Both cuttings sat in the water for about 2 months gathering algae, the leaves slowly browning out and finally completely browning out. About the time that occurred one sent out a root and it's pitiful little shriveled bud turned green and started to grow. The other sent out a tiny root and had new growth under the water.
Anyway they are both now in dirt and doing well. The bigger is about 3" long and is starting to be a vine. The smaller has one set of leaves and is still in a cloche for humidity.

My point, yes I do have one is what to do with them this winter. Should I allow them to grow in my greenhouse window for the winter to gain roots and strength or go ahead and plant them outside? I would hate to lose them. I wonder if they can survive winter being so new.

I would very appreciate any suggestions folks might have.

I am including a picture. The large cutting is in the terra cotta pot, the smaller is just to the right behind the glass cloche.

Andy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New clematis cuttings.

Aconiteandy, I've propagated clematis from cuttings for quite a few years now, though by a different method from yours.

To carry first-year rooted cuttings through the winter I grow them under lights in my attached (south-facing, cool, but not freezing) greenhouse. They stay in their pots through the next fall; then spend their second winter in an outdoor cold frame: I sink the labeled pots into the ground and put on a heavy layer of mulch. The third year they go into the garden. I don't think you gain anything by planting them in the garden any earlier. I even repot bought plants, if they're small (3-4" pots). into 5-6" containers and let them spend at least their first winter in the cold frame.

o
RE: New clematis cuttings.

Thanks Gary. I pretty much decided to leave them in the kitchen green house window for the winter. It just seemed that if the growth were all green and not hardened off it was taking a big big change putting it into the garden. The greenhouse window is very cool. Down to 50 at night and 60-65 during the day. The surface is granite and downright cold. So they should do well. Especially because I tend to keep my eyes on things growing there. (It's right in front of the kitchen sink.)
I hope I can get the things to bloom next summer as we are moving to Ecuador a year from this Nov. :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here