Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blister Beetles...What to do?

Posted by paddlehikeva Piedmont VA_Z7 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 6, 08 at 20:46

Help! I have what I think are blister beetles devouring my clematis at an alarming rate. Last year they only stayed for a short while and seemed rather selective in which clematis they ate. They can devour an entire plant in one 24 hour period. They do not bother any other plants except my clematis.

I garden organically and immensely enjoy watching the birds, bees, and butterflies in my gardens. What can I do to get rid of these nasties?

TIA for any advice,

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blister Beetles...What to do?

I feel bad no one is answering your question. I had no idea what a blister beetle was, so I looked it up. What nasty little critters! Be careful! I hope someone that has experience with them can help you!

For others that don't know what they are, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blister Beetles

o

These are actually blister beetles which are specific to clematis. They seem to be active at night, I rarely even see the nasty creatures. As if causing blisters on contact isn't enough, I can't even locate them! It is unbelievable how much damage they can do in a very short period of time.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicauta cinerea - clematis blister beetle

o

Well, my agriculturist/entomology friend said this... don't know how helpful it is, but just in case someone finds it useful:

"Blister beetles can indeed give you a blister, and some of them can eject the blister juice out of their arse at you! I would just put netting over the plant to keep the beetle off. It might not have to be on year-round, but rather only when the beetles arrive."

o

Kathy,

I had blister beetles on my clematis last year. HORROR! As you know I don't spray, but I made the exception last year. I took a small spray bottle with malathion and hit the entire clematis with it. I feel fairly confident I kept the spray rather local... I didn't want to kill the beneficials nearby. The beetles were gone with one application. I need to go out and check for them today. I had found one a couple weeks ago inside my greenhouse.

I feel your pain.

Robert

o

Have had problems also with these,not every year, but last year was terrible.I tried Sevin which did very little. I have not had a problem this year but I'm glad to know that Malithion works.

o

Hi Robert,

I thought I remembered you having the same issue last year. If I remember correctly, about the same time you posted you had sprayed, mine seemed to disappear as well. I have not seen any additional damage for a few days so hopefully they are gone. I will remember the Malithion for next year. The first time I see the damage, I will spray immediately. If makes me heartsick to see what had been a healthy, floriferous Rooguchi reduced to a skeleton overnight.

Thanks for reminding me of what you did for them.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here