Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paddlehikeva

Blister Beetles...What to do?

paddlehikeva
15 years ago

Help! I have what I think are blister beetles devouring my clematis at an alarming rate. Last year they only stayed for a short while and seemed rather selective in which clematis they ate. They can devour an entire plant in one 24 hour period. They do not bother any other plants except my clematis.

I garden organically and immensely enjoy watching the birds, bees, and butterflies in my gardens. What can I do to get rid of these nasties?

TIA for any advice,

Kathy

Comments (7)

• lalalandwi
    15 years ago

I feel bad no one is answering your question. I had no idea what a blister beetle was, so I looked it up. What nasty little critters! Be careful! I hope someone that has experience with them can help you!

For others that don't know what they are, see the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Blister Beetles

• paddlehikeva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These are actually blister beetles which are specific to clematis. They seem to be active at night, I rarely even see the nasty creatures. As if causing blisters on contact isn't enough, I can't even locate them! It is unbelievable how much damage they can do in a very short period of time.

Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Epicauta cinerea - clematis blister beetle

• violetta1976
    15 years ago

Well, my agriculturist/entomology friend said this... don't know how helpful it is, but just in case someone finds it useful:

"Blister beetles can indeed give you a blister, and some of them can eject the blister juice out of their arse at you! I would just put netting over the plant to keep the beetle off. It might not have to be on year-round, but rather only when the beetles arrive."

• rjlinva
    15 years ago

Kathy,

I had blister beetles on my clematis last year. HORROR! As you know I don't spray, but I made the exception last year. I took a small spray bottle with malathion and hit the entire clematis with it. I feel fairly confident I kept the spray rather local... I didn't want to kill the beneficials nearby. The beetles were gone with one application. I need to go out and check for them today. I had found one a couple weeks ago inside my greenhouse.

I feel your pain.

Robert

• tennecil_6b7a
    15 years ago

Have had problems also with these,not every year, but last year was terrible.I tried Sevin which did very little. I have not had a problem this year but I'm glad to know that Malithion works.

• paddlehikeva
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Robert,

I thought I remembered you having the same issue last year. If I remember correctly, about the same time you posted you had sprayed, mine seemed to disappear as well. I have not seen any additional damage for a few days so hopefully they are gone. I will remember the Malithion for next year. The first time I see the damage, I will spray immediately. If makes me heartsick to see what had been a healthy, floriferous Rooguchi reduced to a skeleton overnight.

Thanks for reminding me of what you did for them.

Kathy

• 13ww13
    8 years ago

I have the same problem. Only one of the clematis vines is attacked. It is the one that is a fall blooming plant with tiny white blossoms. The kill last summer was so bad it never flowered. I mix a concoction of water, dish soap, olive oil, horseradish, garlic and cayenne pepper. I can look up exact amounts, if anyone wants it, but I just toss them together at this point with less concern about amounts than about straining! I use several layers of an old T-shirt to be sure no lumps get through to clog the sprayer. I use this daily! If it rains, I might use it again. I spray from the bottom up and then use fine mist on the whole plant. Then I sit and wait to see if the bugs come out. Usually they climb up and out to the ends of the branches. I hold a small piece of wood to let them walk onto it. Then mash them with another piece of stick/mulch. I do not come in contact with the bugs or their innards! My first day treating the plant this summer, I killed 12 beetles. The next day, I killed 5. Yesterday I killed 3. Today I got three more. Interestingly, they were under the mulch at the roots of the plant. I stirred up the mulch with a stick. I had been told they lay eggs for next year, at the base of the plant, so their babies have yummy food when they hatch. So now I am looking for a killing agent to mix into the mulch/soil at the bottom. This spray doesn't seem to kill them, but it does annoy them and then I kill them. I also think it tastes bad so more bugs don't want to eat the plant. I tried a systemic product that is food and killer in one, drawn into the leaves of the plant. It did nothing.