Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Should I prune ol' Nelly Moser now or just leave it?

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 12, 11 at 0:17

What a banner year. Not. This 2 y.o. Nelly Moser had exactly ONE flower and then just sat there the whole rest of the summer. Should I trim it or just leave now, in the fall?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Should I prune ol' Nelly Moser now or just leave it?

Nelly Moser is a slow, slow grower for me.. I have had her 3 or maybe 4 years and she just can't make herself do much no matter how much i tend to her, she is watered and fertlized well but she is still a weak grower for me..In the years I have had her I might have seen a total of 5 very weak blooms. She was a mature plant when I got her at a plant swap. Grant it I do have her in a large 20 gal pot, but I have many in large pots and some of them aren't as old nor as mature as Nelly but they do grow and bloom well, but not Nelly Moser. As for pruning her now, I don't think it would help her this year nor hurt her in the long haul. Prunning above ground encourages root development below ground. I have found with mine she does best in part shade then in direct hot summer sun, she browns out very easy in hot sun. Sandy

o
RE: Should I prune ol' Nelly Moser now or just leave it?

My Nelly Moser is putting out fall blooms now. It is a prune 2 with early blooms in the spring on old growth and rebloom in the late summer/fall on new growth. If you prune now you will remove the old growth needed for spring bloom. Wait until spring and do a light pruning.

Mine is a small young plant so can not comment on growth other than to say it is growing as expected.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here