Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Advice

Posted by jerryngeorgia31557 8 (jerryfkimbrell@yahoo.com) on
Sat, Sep 19, 09 at 0:44

I am located in SE Georiga zone 8A and am looking for a hardy clematis to use on old metal swing with coral honeysuckle. I know there is not one that is ever green but these are new to me. I am wanting something that is a heavy bloomer. Do these start with seed? If so, where can I trade some seed? Any advice welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Advice

A very nice flowering vine indeed and perhaps one that will serve you well

I would compare a tropical reef as the only thing that has more color choises to pick from then climatis

the next trick is what time of year do you want to see that color or bi color and yeah some are tri color and then how big do you want that color ( flower ) to be. Thats the hardest part about growing climatis is picking one out

You already know how long it will take climatis to " take off " for the first 2 - 3 years there wont be very much but yeah they will realy take off in there 3rd 4th year whihc is just my experiance wiht one in a 2 quart starter pot ( garden center bought )you may want to re-think the seed idea the color you saw as a flower might not be anything like the plant you get as well no matter what season your flower choise will be the flowers will only last five six weeks MAX on a fuly grown plant

theres a wealth of information on any google search keyword growing climatis it too will guide you to online seelers local garden centers propergating ect ......

Last concern from here is you are also at the southern last zone I am sure you have seen some growing there if not then scratch the idea they will demand cool feet and shaded roots will help especaly for them first four years and the usuall well drained soil right sun info that I know you have heard a million times already

o
RE: Need Advice

Seeds are not the best way to get started with Clematis. You want a potted plant with a good root system.

Southern US members almost all recommend type III Clematis rather than type II's and I's. Anything with viticella in the name in particular. I've attached an article and a list.

Honeysuckle is so vigorous it will likely crowd out any Clematis. I would rethink putting them close together.

You don't need to worry about shading roots or lower parts of the plant nor keeping them cool, you do need to worry about keeping them moist and well mulched. Somehow in popular plant lore the words moist and cool/shaded got mixed up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on growing clems in hot climates

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here