Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nckvilledudes

Thinking of Jeanne--OT

nckvilledudes
15 years ago

Talked to Jeanne the day before Ike hit and she was trying to secure everything around her house and gardens. She lives somewhere north of Houston so hope that she did okay in lieu of the hurricane. Sent her an email this morning to see how she is doing but she might be one of the many without electricity. Keep her in your thoughts! I know I was thinking about her yesterday morning when Ike hit.

Comments (25)

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

Oh geez, I hope she did ok and her garden is intact.

• Joan Dupuis
    15 years ago

Surely she'll pop in and let us know if she is ok... Hoping for the best for her.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

My thoughts and prayers are with Jeanne and all those affected by Ike. I have a friend that lives just South West of Houston and the damage wasn't too bad in her area. Mostly wind damage with trees and branches all over. There is some flooding with the low pressure system that followed Ike. The electricity has been on and off for her but the internet and cable services are completely down. We've been in touch by cell phone and things are improving fairly quickly.

Miguel, It is good to see you. I hope all has been well with you.

Tracy

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Tracy. This has been another bad summer here. Until the past 3 weeks or so, no to little rain and much browning out of many of the clematis. The only good thing compared to last year is that we didn't have as many 90+ degree days as compared to last year.

Still haven't heard from Jeanne from my previous email. I just sent her another one. Hopefully she is okay and it is an electricity issue that is keeping her from responding. I will let you all know when she responds and any info she provides.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Miguel, I feel your pain. I had profuse blooming on my type 2 and then it just quit on me. My babies have been struggling in this heat up here too. Several have gotten wilt, recovered, developed wilt again. Growing pains, ya know. :o)

I did have a very nice surprise the other day and Roguchi has bloomed for me. It is very young so only has 2 little blossoms but they made me happy. I have been waiting for this with baited breath.

I spoke to my Texas friend today about Jeanne and she mentioned that North of Houston did get more severe winds than her area on the southwest. I am praying that it is just power issues.

Ike blew through here on Sunday night. Wow did it pack a punch. It really surprised me at how strong it was after travelling all the way to Ohio. We had 60 mph winds. Can't imagine what it was like when it was just coming in.

• nckvilledudes
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just heard from Jeanne this morning. She was without electricity for 6 days. Her house is fine and a few things got blown about but she is well and finally connected back to the real world.

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Miguel etal...How sweet to be thought of during these past horrible and catastrophic days.We were blessed that we and our home was spared..I had some obelisk etc get blown over with the 85mph winds we recieved.Some in my subdivision suffered from fallen trees into their homes! My thoughts and prayers are with those that lived along the cost and lost everything..makes me feel petty that I cursed my electric company for suffering those 6 days without any ac..Fortunately we were blessed with a Canadian cold front come thru and gave us loverly 70 degree days and even got down to 59 degrees one night with Zero Humidity!!..I want to thank all the States who's electric companies sent workers here..I even saw some from Canada,NC,Okl...what a wonderful world we live in with such caring souls from all over to not only come to our aid but to hold us in thoughts and prayers..your kindness shall never be forgotten!!..hugzz to you all..Jeanne
    ps..thanks again Miquel for relentlessly emailing me with your thoughts even tho I had no electricity to use my computer..I was amazed of all the emails in my mailbox from all around the globe!

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Great that you are back with us, Jeanne, and that you sustained only minor damage yourself! TV news accounts always play up the worst and I feared most of east Texas was flattened!

• janetpetiole
    15 years ago

While my heart breaks for those who lost so much, it's nice to hear your good news, Jeannie. We need to hear good stories too.

• tracyvine
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I am so happy to see you are safe and doing well. It is amazing to hear of all the help that arrived down there. God is great and I am glad you are safe.

Tracy

• flowerfan2
    15 years ago

I am so glad to hear you and your garden surrived the hurricane with minor damage. Karen

• buyorsell888
    15 years ago

Glad you and your garden are OK.

• carolfm
    15 years ago

Jeanne, I am so glad you are okay! I've been watching all the news and the devastation to some areas is horrible. They say many people are missing and may have been washed out to sea. Thank goodness you are safe. I've said many prayers for everyone in that area.

Carol

• jeanne_texas
    15 years ago

Carol..thanks hon...Jeanne

• lostmermaid
    15 years ago

You are welcome for the cold front. Thanks for the rain (again! close to 4") in exchange. Now, keep the cold, I'll take the hot!!

Glad you are okay. Your advice is always read with great interest. looking forward to more.
    Dana

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Going through the postings today searching for something I came across this...I think of our Miguel almost everyday and miss him so..what a wonderful caring mentor and friend he was...Jeanne

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

Yes, I think of him often. He put me onto several wonderful clematis varieties.

• summermusicz4ia
    13 years ago

opheliathornvt: would you care to share which varieties Miguel recommended to you? I would like to plant some clematis in his memory and it would be nice to use something he really cared about.
    Thanks, Marlene

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

I assume you saw this Jeannie, but just in case you didn't

Here is a link that might be useful: Miguel Viso

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

Janet!!!...Thanks hon...I knew that Dan had named the clematis after Miguel and saw the pic on his facebook page but didn't know he had posted it on COTW..what a beautiful clematis for a beautiful person..so deserving..I had posted on Dan's facebook page that I wanted him to save me one for next year when they come out so I can plant in his Memorial Garden..hugzzzz...Jeanne

• janetpetiole
    13 years ago

It's here too, Jeannie

Here is a link that might be useful: Brushwood - MV

• jeanne_texas
    13 years ago

OOOooo...thanks Janet..I signed up as well..Sounded arrogant of me to think Dan would remember I wanted one whilest he is so busy with his move and establishing his business in his new town!!..Thanks so much..what would I do without you?...Hugzzzz...Jeanne

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

Miguel recommended viticellas often especially for those in the south and for beginners. I know he loved many of the species too and integrifolias.

• buyorsell888
    13 years ago

I don't know Dan at Brushwood but someone who does might want to point out that his website says Miguel Viso is pruning 2 but COTW says 3. :)

I'll be buying one for sure. :)

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    13 years ago

I signed up to receive notification when this becomes available also. It looks lovely in the photos.