Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Getting clematis ready for winter

Posted by esther_b NYC (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 27, 09 at 4:19

This was the first time I planted a clematis vine. It was a Monrovia Nelly Moser, if my memory serves me correctly. I planted it this summer and gave it a supporting structure of a bamboo tripod. The vine did not die and it did not produce new leaves. Just kind of sat there. The soil was new topsoil I had added, and I fertilized once with Plant-tone. Now with winter coming, what do I do with this clematis vine to ensure its survival? Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Getting clematis ready for winter

I'm in northern Vermont, and don't do anything for my clemmies. The only ones I think the cold killed were a montana and florida sieboldii. I think Nelly will be fine, although I don't grow her.

o

Most of mine have just sat there too. I planted different ones then you, Earnest Markham, Dr Ruppel, Beauty of Worcester, and Henryi. All have just sat there, did not die, but just sit there. I look at it like, "They're growing roots" :) I hope to see more vining next year. Of course, I did prune them hard when I bought them, and even again in late June.
You don't really have to do anything. Just make sure they stay watered well and before the ground freezes. What ever leaves there are on there will brown and fall off. That's ok, they'll grow more next spring.

o

What has already been said is pretty much SOP - most clematis do not require any sort of winter protection. The exception would be those that may be marginally hardy ('Nelly Moser' is NOT!) or those planted in containers. If exposed to a lot of winter wind, you may want to consider cutting back very tall, topheavy vines to prevent excessive breakage.

And the growth - or lack of it - that you experienced this season is also very much SOP for clematis :-) There is an old, trite, but very true saying associated with any vine and clematis in particular -- the first year they sleep, the second year they creep and the third year they leap. Expect to see some additional growth next season but it is not really until their third year in the ground that clematis really get going.

o

Lack of growth on newly planted Clematis is indeed, normal.

'Nelly Moser' does not need winter protection.

Next spring when you prune your roses cut her back and it helps to keep pinching back new growth after that too.

If you don't prune her and pinch her she is likely to grow one or two long scraggly vines, a compact multiple vine plant is better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here