Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Planting clematis with vinca minor

Posted by GreenHavenGarden 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 10, 12 at 6:53

Hi all, I feel like I should know this answer (but I don't) and google isn't helping so I figured I'd ask the experts :)
I planted 6 clematis to climb a split rail fence. The base of the fence has an established bed of vinca minor. The clems are doing great but up until now I have been pulling back the vinca minor that keeps creeping over the clems. I fear that this is a losing battle. Would it hurt the clems if the vm grows over where the clems come out? I know that some people use groundcover to shade the roots of the clematis (and help keep it moist) but will the vm suck out the water that I feed the clematis?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Planting clematis with vinca minor

IME clematis do much better without competition from other plants' roots. I also find that the vinca is really aggressive and I am in the process of ripping mine out in many places.

o

I've had clems growing with vinca and I never found it to be a problem :-) As far as root competition is concerned, I would be more at issue with trees or deeper rooted plants when attempting to get clems established than I would be with a very surface rooted groundcover. And the vinca will indeed serve to reduce soil moisture evaporation, just as any other mulch or groundcover would. Just water slowly and deeply when you do water.

o

I have problems with tree root competition (severe problems) but not groundcover or perennial root competition.

o

Thank you for the replies. I will let the vinca cover and make sure to water well. One less chore on the list to worry about :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here