Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
one clematis thrives, other no new growth but not dead

Posted by seagreen_turtle Z5 MI (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 16, 09 at 7:37

The thriving species is Jackmanii (purple) and the sickly looking is Niobe(fuschia). I planted over a month ago in very similar locations, they both came from a very good nursery whose plants tend to thrive. The Niobe has grown a lot and produced lots of new flowers. The Niobe is not dead but hasn't grown at all and the leaves are a bit ratty. Should I fertilize it a little even though it's fall?
Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: one clematis thrives, other no new growth but not dead

The difference is because Jackmanii is a Type III and Niobe a Type II. Type II's typically get off to a slower start than III's. III's are usually more vigorous in general. Getting lots of flowers the first year isn't typical though of any clematis. They are first year sleep, second year creep and third year leap plants.

I would not fertilize in your zone at this time.

Cut them both back to the last set of buds in early spring when you cut back roses in your area. Then fertilize them.

o
RE: one clematis thrives, other no new growth but not dead

Thanks buyorsell888. The Jackmanii is flowering like crazy (second flush). When I bought it and planted it in early July, it was flowering (they both were - the Niobe too I mean). I will keep my fingers crossed for the Niobe for next spring. Thanks again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here