Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda1270

Help One More Time w/Shades of White Clems

LindaMA
16 years ago

I thought where everyone was so wonderful helping me out with the red clematis' that maybe you could help me out with choosing a prolific white or semi white. Here are my choices:

Clair De Lune

Wadas Primrose

Dawn

Viticella Alba Luxurians

Lanuginosa Candida

Henryi

Gillian Blades

Snow Queen

Mrs. George Jackman

Miss Bateman

Fargesioides

Duchess of Edinburgh

Huldine

Alabast

Hyde Hall

This is a really hard one for me, I am leaning towards Gillian Blads,Clair de Lune, Huldine or Alabast so if anyone can narrow this down for me by letting me know which one of them is the most prolific bloomer, I promise I won't ask you to help me out with anymore.

Many thanks is advance for your help!

Linda

Comments (11)

• nckvilledudes
    16 years ago

Of the ones you listed, the most prolific and fullest bloomer I have is Alba Luxurians hands down. It will have some green coloration on the edges of the sepals in the early spring but then it fades out to an all white clematis. Several other friends that have it also say that theirs is a prolific bloomer.

{{gwi:583469}}

{{gwi:584994}}

Huldine is a nice white clematis also with a pinkish red band down the middle of the backside of its sepals. The overall flower size is smaller than Alba Luxurians and has never been as floriferous as AL even though it has been in the ground longer than AL.

The Duchess of Edinburgh has been a complete dud in my garden.

Just realize that you have both type II and IIIs included in your list so depending on what you might be pairing it with, you might want to take that into consideration.

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    16 years ago

Of your narrowed-down list, for me Huldine is the most prolific, with small blooms. Alabast has the largest blooms and blooms twice a year for me. Gillian Blades and Claire de Lune are similar here. They both have a slightly, slightly purplish tinge at the edges. Gillian blooms early for me, and Claire de Lune a little later in the year.
    Wada's Primrose has a beautiful flower but doesn't bloom much for me. Lanuginosa Candida was lovely, but died from too much shade, I think. Henryi has been a real surprise. I had to try 3 or 4 times with various plants of him, but the one I have now has grown like it's on steriods and has been blooming non-stop for months now. Miss Bateman has been a disappointment so far, and Duchess of Edinburgh is lovely, but pretty fleeting for me.

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

Henryi has been a dog for me. We'll see what happens now after I cut it to 6" stubs. It does have a lot of sprouts.

Gillian Blades is new for me. The blooms aren't pure white but are edged in bluish lavender. I think it is really pretty.

I have Arctic Queen which are white doubles but it is new too so I can't comment on it's vigor. So far, very good.

• carolfm
    16 years ago

I love Artic Queen and it is very vigorous here. I planted it on an arbor with a rose and it scaled the 8ft and went over the top in two years. It was so massive I cut it back off the rose this year and it is full of new growth and climbing right back up the arbor. I have Henryi and it has done well this year but it is new and not established so the jury is still out!

Artic Queen

{{gwi:230260}}

Carol

• entling
    16 years ago

I cut Henryi back by about 1/2 this year after it finished blooming. It is sending out new growth & has tiny buds. Whether it will bloom b4 hard frost is questionable. Depends on the notoriously unpredictable Midwest weather. It has become a monster & may need to be moved to give it more liebensraum.

• LindaMA
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Many thanks to all of you, I think I'm going to go with Alba Luxurians, at least this time, I already have Marie Boisselot, which I purchased a few weeks back, I've heard great things about her, so with her and an AL, I'll be off to a great start. I see many many more Clematis in my future.

• ncgardner
    16 years ago

HENRYI is a true winner. Mine is to the top of a basketball goal then into a dogwood tree and still going. Last year we stopped counting at 87 blooms plus buds and they were very large and continued for at least 6 weeks. I'd say a prolific bloomer. The plant is 5-6 years old but remember Henryi is in the group you shouldn't cut back until fall and only 1/3 then. One year I did cut it more to make it fuller and it really took off after that year. BUT, I lost a lot of the usual bud count I'd get. So for one year you loose flowers to get a fuller plant. I have 18 different clematis and Henry and Rooguchi are my all time favorites. A great site for pruning instructions is: (Also shows has many different ones and pictures).

www.chalkhillclematis.com

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

I adore Clematis "John Huxtable" which I noticed isn't on your list but he is a very vigorous,floriferous pruning group 3...one to consider...Jeanne

• emmgus
    16 years ago

lindama - i think you will be happy with your alba luxurians, i have had one for a few years and it requires almost no attention from me, with lots of return.

jeanne texas - i know you are in a different zone from me, but i am curious to know how tall your john huxtable gets? thanks!

• buyorsell888
    16 years ago

My Henryi never had more than twelve blooms and it was three bare woody stems eight feet in the air with a few leaves at the top. It never had more than three blooms a year (for five years) until I cut it back to the lowest green bud last year and then it had twelve. I still had six feet of bare woody vines. So, I whacked it to six inches and have pinched the tips out of all of the new vines more the once. I don't care if it blooms again this year but it better do better than twelve blooms next year or it is toast.

• jeanne_texas
    16 years ago

Emmgus..this is year two for my Clematis "John Huxtable" and you must remember that I had prune it several times and can easily get three bloom periods from my pruning group 3's with my long growing season..this year it got to about 7 feet tall before I whacked at it again...Jeanne

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?