Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which variety does well in full sun

Posted by gregnga GA (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 9:55

My Clematis is in full sun most of the day and does not seem to do well. I thought these plants required a lot of sun. Mine is a "Jackman". Would another variety do better in full sun? I've had several of these in various places I've lived and I always seems to have a problem with the leaves burning and they usually stop flowering about August

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which variety does well in full sun

Greg, most of my clematis are in full sun, including Jackmanii, and they do fine. A lot of clematis get those funky brown leaves in summer. If you will cut them back when they finish blooming, they will put out new foliage and rebloom.

Carol

o

Ditto to what Carol said. Whack them back midsummer and you will get more foliage and flowers later in the season. There are plusses and minuses to living in the south but the extended growing season is one that allows us to whack even our type IIs back after blooming and get more blooms later in the summer or early fall.

Carol, hope you are getting some of this rain we have been getting today!

o

Miguel, It's been raining off and on all day. A slow steady rain. I am so thankful! Glad you are getting rain too! Aren't you loving these temperatures?

Carol

o

Yep, who wouldn't like low 70s for highs and mid 50s for the nighttime lows. Yes, the rain here started last night and has been going on off and on all day. It is still raining pretty hard here at 7:25pm or so. We have had close to 2 inches as of 5pm or so and I haven't checked the rain gauge since 5pm. It is beating against the windows here right now.

o
New to Clematis

I rescued five small clematis from a big box store early this spring. They have done well, even bloomed, and I have them in 8" clay pots because I will soon be moving and I don't want to leave them behind. My question is, do I cut back the clematis when I am transplanting them into the ground this fall, if yes, how far back can they be cut? They will be in full sun and I do know their roots should be kept cool and they will do OK. Can you give me any additional advice regarding the care of the plants?

Thanks, Jay

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here