Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janepa_gw

Sweet Autumn blooming here.What clematis is blooming for you?

janepa
14 years ago

I only have Sweet Autumn blooming now, but I have several ordered, some that are to bloom in to the fall. I will be adding Daniel Deronda, Miniseelik,John Paul II and Inspiration. This is the 4th season for Sweet Autumn in my garden. I cut many vines off in the spring, but she has completely taken over the arch/arbor. I even wound wire around it to try to hold it in, but it has not helped much. She has a fragrance which I cannot detect, but others can. They tell me it is similar to vanilla. I think she looks very 'bridal'.

Sweet Autumn

{{gwi:620845}}

I would love to see what clematis is blooming in your garden now, especially a zone 5/6. I am in central PA.

Thank you. Jane

Comments (23)

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

Your SAC is very lovely. Mine just has buds on it. It usually starts blooming the middle of September for me. I have John Paul II blooming, triternata rubra marginata, serratifolia, Kermensina, tangutica and flammula. It is nice to have some late bloomers so summer is not quite over yet.

• iris_9
    14 years ago

I have 2 Polish Spirit with a few blooms left. They have done really well in spite of being in a hot west facing location.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

Juuli, Gazelle, Arabella, Petite Faucon are still blooming would be blooming more IF I had deadheaded.

• sandyl
    14 years ago

Here's what blooming for me Sept 5th/2009
    I'm in Middle TN
    {{gwi:620846}}
    My Sweet Autumn Sept 5th

{{gwi:620848}}
    Ramona Sept 5th

• sandyl
    14 years ago

This is Sprinkles Picture taken Sept 7th
    {{gwi:620851}}
    And Jackmanii Picture taken today also.
    {{gwi:620853}}

Sandy

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

My first year Nelly Moser has a couple of new blossoms. Gravety Beauty, Hagley, Kermisina, Perirn's Pride, Will Goodwin, Duchess of Albany, c. heracleifolia 'China Purple' and c. integrifolias 'Bushy Blue Bell' and 'Inspiraton' and three other NOIDs are still blooming. Several others have buds.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

My Clems don't look even close to as nice as Sandy's do. They are all brown and fried or fungal. Ramona hasn't ever bloomed in fall for me.

Alionushka is blooming now too. None of my Integrifolias were cut back or deadheaded so the show isn't much.

• janepa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for your photos and comments.

sandyl - your Ramona is very pretty and prolific. I had this one several years ago, but I believe it did not get enough sun. The blooms that I did get were pretty like yours. I might have to give that one another try.

mnwsgal - What is your opinion of Inspiration? I have that one coming soon, and I would to know where you have yours planted.

Thank you. Jane

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

Inspiration is planted on the southwest side of my garage. I have it climbing a trellis (with help tucking vines in and out, not difficult to do). It continues to bloom throughout the summer with regular deadheading.

Summer 2008
    {{gwi:620855}}

{{gwi:574207}}

Sorry no photos of this year as have had camera difficulties. It has completely covered the trellis and bloomed from top to bottom.

• steve1young
    14 years ago

I have a very young Josephine in bud and a rather young Crystal Fountain in bloom.

This year I ran 2 nylon strings (1 up each corner of a screen porch; about 9 inches out from the corner) and then continued the string up to a peaked roof line where the two strings meet. The two SACs I have planted at the base of both strings our rather young, but they're both half-way up to the peak of the roof. Next year I expect them to kiss up in the middle. I'll try to grab a photo.

• janepa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

mnwsgal - I really like the color of Inspiration.

Steve, I am sure by next summer they will be 'wed'. If I did not trim my SAC it would take over the whole arch, and we would be walking around it instead of through it. I wish all of my clematis did the same though.

I am not acquainted with Josephine so I am going to go and take a look at Clematis on the Web.

Thanks for sharing. Jane

• flowergirl70ks
    14 years ago

Since my clematis got hailed on badly twice this spring, I have had very little bloom. I had to cut them back severly. Now several are blooming. Josephine, Earnest Markham, Ville de Lyon, HF Young, Jackmani Superba, Dutchess of Albany, Prince Charles, and Venosa Violecia(sp? it seems strange to have so many blooming now, but fun to see.

• janepa
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I haven't looked 'flowergirl70ks' clematis up to see their bloom cycles, but if they are earlier bloomers, maybe giving them a trim in the spring will have them bloom later.

My Venosa Violacea is giving me more blooms after I gave it a good drink. It's bloom cycle is July, August, September. Hagley Hybrid also has some more blooms coming. HH is also to bloom July, August and September.

Anything that is blooming now and later I really appreciate.

Jane

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    14 years ago

Ville de Lyon has been blooming all fall for me. It had full bloom in late June into July, then took a week or two break, and then has been blooming lightly ever since.

• buyorsell888
    14 years ago

I looked at my pot ghetto yesterday and Ville de Lyon, Durandii and Cezanne are blooming. All were dug up and potted due to construction on my house.

Etoile Violette has a few blooms too. Due to construction, I was not able to prune, fertilize or water as much as I'd have liked this past summer. My garden overall looks like a word not allowed to be used on this message board.....:(

• coppertop367
    14 years ago

When can I trim back my sweet autumn clematis? I am in zone 7.

• swontgirl_z5a
    14 years ago

I still have blooms and buds on Ville de Lyon, Doctor Ruppel and Jackmanii here. The last was really slow to come in the spring this year. I have had it for probably 20 years. Some of my other ones look pretty dried up though. What a strange year.

• mnwsgal
    14 years ago

I cut a bouquet this evening as frost is expected for several nights this week. H. F. Young, Nelly Moser, Barbara Jackmanii, Inspiration, Will Goodwin, and a couple of NOID large bloom plants still have flowers and many buds.

• carol_se_pa_6
    14 years ago

After at least 8 years, my Nelly Moser is blooming in the fall with about 4 blooms and at least 6 buds ready to open. That is a first for my Nelly! I think we are going to get some chilly weather, so the blooms may not have long.

• harryshoe zone6 eastern Pennsylvania
    14 years ago

Its October 19th and Venosa Violacea is blooming. I have 3 VV plants and only one has blooms. A welcome surprise.

Rhapsody has one lonely bloom.

• unprofessional
    14 years ago

Walenburg just gave me a second flush...after the first snow. :)

• flowerfan2
    14 years ago

My Jackmanii just started to rebloom. It has about 2o buds on it. Three or four are blooming. I don't know if they will all get to open before Jack frost nips them. Hopefully it will stay warm and wet. I still have a few blooms from John Paul II and my rederiana and sweet autumn clematis still have blossums.

• senko
    14 years ago

We had several frosts. Nothing is blooming EXCEPT Kardynal Wyszynski-a first year plant- it is blooming with two flowers, on a south facing wall. I can't wait to see what it will do on its second year.