Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Training Nelly Moser up tree trunk

Posted by daysquid 7 Annapolis, MD (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 13, 12 at 10:28

I'm new to gardening and need some advice on just how to train a Nelly Moser to climb a tree trunk. I just brought her home and failed to ask the nursery any questions about how to do this. Thanks in advance for any and all help on this!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Training Nelly Moser up tree trunk

BuyorSell (I think) in the past posted a photo of a clem growing up a spiral of copper plumbing pipe around the trunk of a tree so that the clem followed the loose spiral around the trunk. You could also hang strings or netting from the tree if the lower branches are large enough to support the weight of the clematis.

It will also depend somewhat on the kind of tree. Since clematis aren't fond of root competition, certain trees with shallow thirsty roots will stunt the growth of the clematis unless the clem is planted in a pot (and maple roots will grow up into the pot through the drain holes of a pot sitting on the soil surface!)

o

My copper spiral doesn't actually work very well. You need something like metal grid fencing wrapped around the trunk or part of it.

or something like this trellis

Here is a link that might be useful: trellis at Amazon

o

Do you remove the plant from the trellis in the pot and then feed the vine up your own trellis...to start its climb? I realize that this might be a silly question but this is all new to me as a first time gardner.

o

• Posted by alameda 8 - East Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Sep 29, 12 at 12:52

Rather than buy expensive tree trellis, I use leftover scraps of my horse wire fencing - any kind will do - to wrap around a tree for the clematis to climb on. Once they cover the wire, you never even know its there. You can buy rolls of all kinds of hardware cloth, etc. at Lowes. I would think plastic netting would work also.

o

The plastic netting doesn't work well as it breaks apart when you pull the vines down after pruning.

Wire livestock fence certainly works great.

Yes, you remove whatever stake or trellis is in the nursery pot.

o

Metal mesh works great for me. I grow Pink Fantasy and Venosa Violacea up the tree trunk. Make sure your clematis is planted a couple feet away from the tree and train it toward it, or it will never get enough water.
Pink Fantasy and V.V.

o

That's a beautiful picture "grow darnit" -- thanks for all the help on this. And how do you prune Nelly Moser?

o

Grow Darnit, My Venosa Violacea grows more than 12 feet tall and at least 8 feet wide after being cut to the ground each year. Keep an eye on yours so it doesn't swamp Pink Fantasy which is a much less vigorous grower.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here