Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Clematis true from seed?

Posted by tammyinwv z6/WV (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 25, 09 at 11:17

Do Clems grown from seed grow true to the parent? Can I w/s these?
Tammy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Clematis true from seed?

Only the species clematis will come true from seed and that is only if they are self pollinated. None of the hybrids come true from seed. The seedlings may look a lot like the parents or they may be something not yet seen.

o

large flowered ones take a year or so to germinate.... not that they won't just takes forever and you have to wait another few years to see what they look like...
herbaceous and species will be easier to grow and most of them will come true to parent. I have stunning Bill Mckenzie growing in my neighbour's garden grown from seed and my clematis viorna bloomed first year climbing over jap maple. I have multiple herbaceuos clems which a delight for fall garden...

o

lindalana, I really like the Viorna, it is georgeous. You said it bloomed the first yr from seed? I have Ramona,Henryi, and another double white I cant remember offhand. Loved Ramona's bright blue/lavender blooms. I havent heard the term herbacious clems. Whats the difference? I do have some seeds from Radar Love that I recieved with an Ebay purchase,that I was thinking of trying next yr.Are they similar to your Bill Mckenzie ?
Tammy

o

Herbaceous clematis die completely back to the ground in winter, leaving no above-ground 'trunks' or vining stems. These would include species like C. recta, heracleifolia and the straight integrifolia.

Technically, one cannot call (and therefore sell seeds so named) the seedling of a named cultivar of clematis as that cultivar. The seeds of 'Radar Love' will just generate other seedling tanguticas. They may or may not look exactly like the parent plant and cannot be called by that name. What I am trying to say very awkwardly is that named forms of any plant are not seed grown - they MUST be propagated by asexual means....division, cuttings, layering, grafting, etc.

o

I understand what your saying gardengal. Similar with roses. I had been hesitant to try other types of clems, such as tangutica, because I thought I read they can be invasive.
Tammy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here