Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My First Sweet Autumn Clematis Blooms :-)

Posted by moonwolf Z6 Central PA (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 4, 13 at 11:35

Hi everyone,

The SAC I planted last year from my gram (who got it from her mother in law, asked me if I wanted it-and I did-and her mother in law no longer has the plant) is blooming for the first time. The scent is wonderful!

photo 123_zps8f44f0c9.jpg

Close-up of some of the blooms
 photo 124_zps93fa2c69.jpg

Brad AKA Moonwolf

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My First Sweet Autumn Clematis Blooms :-)

Congrats Brad! I remember just how much you wanted a SAC!
Now let the monster plant begin lol

o

Thank you, kentstar! Lol my SAC isn't much of a monster yet, but it's still growing and blooming happily. I even see more buds developing beneath the older blossoms! Something tells me I have a happy plant lol. I'm surprised it's doing so well since we've had a mostly dry summer this year.

Brad AKA Moonwolf

o

Mine is blooming too.....worth the wait for such a versatile vine!

o

Wow! Is that one plant?!

o

Yup, one plant....this is its 3rd summer.....I wanted it to stretch out so I did not cut it back......only took off the top growth in the spring......

o

Wow, I may have to try that next spring! :)

o

Be careful what you wish for with this clematis!

I got sick this spring and can't garden yet and this is what happen! There are three roses inside this mess! There is also a chain link fence in there somewhere.

Of course the garden smells wonderful.

Kat

o

You know I'm wondering... I clip my SAC back to about 6 inches in spring. It grows a good 30 feet at least through my hedge, but... It only seems to bloom on the sides and not the top of the hedge. I wonder if I do let it grow out next spring if it will bloom higher up too. It does get full sun up top of the hedge all day long and mostly sun on the sides of the hedge where it grows. Experiment time maybe? lol

o

I say go for it and see. I wanted to know whether mine would grow to 60' if I left it unpruned, so I tried that. It didn't, but now I know that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here