Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do you train a clematis up through a shrub?

Posted by prairiemoon2 zone 6/MA (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 5, 09 at 12:00

I have a potted clematis and I would like to train it to climb up and over a shrub. I would love some tips on how to do that and how to select the right shrub to use. Does it matter which variety you have?

Thanks... :-)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do you train a clematis up through a shrub?

What kink of shrub? How large is the shrub? What kind of clematis do you have?

o

I have two...Ville de Lyon and Duchess of Albany for Clematis. I have a Cornus racemosa that is plain all season long, about 8ft tall. Or I have a few Hydrangeas, a Viburnum maresii, or a Physocarpus. All of those are under 5ft at this point.

o

I have a Ville de Lyon growing through an Endless Summer hydrangea and from there onto the fence behind it. I have another type 3, white, but I don't remember the exact hybrid, up into a lilac. In each case I planted the clematis on the north side of the shrub, outside of the shrub's dripline by about a foot. I had read that the clematis would grow toward the light and therefore into the shrubs. It seems to have worked well as the Ville de Lyon has been there 3 or 4 seasons and the white one two or three. The lilac looked like it had white clematis flowers this year for the first time, and VdeL has been growing up into the hydrangea for several seasons. The shrubs were a year or two in the ground and at least three feet tall when I planted the clematis which were pretty small. I may need to move the VdeL at some point if it seems like the hydrangea is getting overwhelmed.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here