Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Container size for mature Clematis.

Posted by wanttogarden USDA 9b, Sunset 15 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 12:31

I need to plant few Silver Moons and Clair De Lunes to grow on my shady parts of the yard for splash of color. However, the reason for the shade is big trees and thus huge root systems and competition for water. ( I cannot keep the soil moist for a long time there).

To solve the problem, I decide to plant them in containers. Now, how big a pot I need to place each clematis in for a permanent home? Is 5 gallon pots big enough to house these beauties for long time? If not how about 16" square pots?

Thank you,
FJ

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Container size for mature Clematis.

Kind of difficult to determine the size for me anyways since I don't grow those varieties and don't know how large they will get over time, especially since they are going to be growing in shady parts of the yard. The shade may limit their eventual size due to lack of light for photosynthesis. I would start off with 5 gallon sized pots and then see how they do. They will let you know if they need bigger pots over time. I like drilling holes near the bottom of the pots I grow anything in. When the roots fill the pot, the drainage holes tend to get blocked and I don't get as much water flowing out of the holes. Then I know I either at least need to drill new holes or pot up into a larger pot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here