Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
redsox_gw

Rose and Clematis Mistake

redsox_gw
14 years ago

I have only been growing clematis for a couple of years so I don't have a whole lot of experience. I planted 2 clematis with 2 old garden roses last year. I placed Franziska Maria with Reine Victoria and Rooguchi with Reine des Violettes. I put them both on tripods.

First I should say that these roses do need to be sprayed with fungicide in this climate. Secondly, that I also put Geranium Rozanne in the planting as well. It spreads and sprawls, but what I didn't realize is that it climbs as well, so there is a lot going on.

I guess my first mistake was pairing clematis with roses that need to be sprayed. When the clematis grows well, it gets clumpy even when you tie it up and makes it really difficult to get under there to spray.

The Reine Victoria/Franziska Maria combo has not worked out as badly, in part because Reine Victoria has been a very strong grower and FM is not overwhelming in year 2: I guess it takes a lot of energy to make those double flowers, so while healthy, FM is not overpowering.

The Reine des Violettes and Rooguchi combo is another story. I never realized that Rooguchi would be so strong. I mean, it is a good problem to have, it has just flowered all spring, summer and will probably go into fall. I figured at 6-8 feet, it would be a good companion. But RdV has not been as vigorous. At this point, only a couple of canes are even visible. Rooguchi has overtaken the rose.

Is relocation the only way to rectify?

In the future, how would you suggest going about these pairings? Wait until the rose is really, really mature? But then in a cold winter, the rose dies down to about 12 inches.....not enough to hold up a clem.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz