Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roksee

overnight,clam dead? HELP

roksee
9 years ago

SORRY ABOUT THE MISSPELLING...this is a long shot because I'm not sure which variety this is. I think it is/was a Saphire Indigo.... at any rate, I bought it, planted it in a barrel and it was doing very well..from Aug 1st till September 10... I came out to look at it and it looked like this !! I don't have a picture of it when it was fine, but it was...very pretty and blooming. How could this happen so fast ? Did I over water?
Thank you for any guesses and help.

This post was edited by roksee on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 18:54

Comments (10)

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd Clematis pic

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

3rd Clematis pic

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

if there is anything else I can add let me know.

• roseberri, z6
    9 years ago

Not sure I can help but no one has answered, it looks like there could be a couple things, is that some root showing in the third picture just below the leaf to the right? If it is then you probably need to add a couple inches of dirt to the barrel. Also I couldn't tell for sure but in that same picture at the base of the support is there some mold growing? That too could be a problem.
    I hope someone more knowledgeable will look in and help but in the meantime you could check the Search feature and see if there is an answer in some of the past posts.
    roseberri

• opheliathornvt zone 5
    9 years ago

Also, in the picture showing the root, is the stem broken? It's hard to see from the picture, but clematis stems are brittle - could something have damaged it?

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

When I see overnight wilting it is usually due to a cut or broken stem. Also clematis wilt can cause overnight wilting.

Cut the stem back to where there is some live stem and keep it watered so more stems can grow from the base. It is good to cut newly planted clematis stems back to encourage root growth.

This post was edited by mnwsgal on Tue, Sep 16, 14 at 14:01

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Are you sure it is a clematis? The stem looks too thick and flower seed form is unfamiliar to me.

• roksee
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hello ... and thanks for the attention... I was really feeling lonely... :) I made an error, it is a Passion Flower.
    So I should not have put it here... I just found that out.
    But some of your (all) advice should be taken into
    consideration anyway, I think.
    Thank you so much.
    roksee

• mnwsgal
    9 years ago

Glad to know that I was right thinking it was a Passion flower. I don't grow them and hope you can find help on another forum. Good luck.

• gardenper
    9 years ago

Not sure if you moved over to the passion vine forum, but with passion vine, if the root is doing fine, you should be soon getting another stem. Any growing parts that are still green and alive will also compensate and grow out more, if the primary growth is dead or cut.

So assuming you have not tossed this plant out as a loss, it should come back just fine.