Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers have browned on Sweet Autumn

Posted by charisbograd 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 1, 13 at 13:03

I have had a Sweet Autumn Clematis appear in my garden. I know they can be invasive and many of you don't like them; however, I am happy about this especially since it is growing along an ugly railing I wanted to cover up. I just noticed it about a month ago and for the past few weeks it has had beautiful, fragrant flowers. When I checked it yesterday the flowers are all brown and dead. The leaves still seem green and healthy. Should I just cut off the brown parts? Why would the flowers have died? It gets a lot of afternoon sun but I have read that they like sun and I assume they would not plant themselves in a bad spot. I have not watered it because we have had significant rainfall.
I am also wondering if I can train it to grow sideways along the rail since the rail isn't tall. Thank you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers have browned on Sweet Autumn

Well, I was hoping someone with more experience would chime in, but since they haven't, I will. I am in zone 5 and my sweet autumn is just now blooming. I'll have to look at the blooms as they die to see if they look like yours, but I don't think it's a problem with the plant itself, which does look nice and healthy as you said. The flowers probably just died off after blooming, which is perfectly normal and you can cut them off if you don't like the look. You certainly can train it to grow sideways. Mine grows straight up until it reaches the floor of my deck, some 10' up and then I train it to run along the railings. In the spring, you can cut yours back to about 6", as I do with mine every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here