Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Still baby clems w/ root competition?

Posted by butterclem z6 W.PA (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 13:22

Hi,

I have a number of clematises receiving a lot of root competition from two huge spruces and some small shrubs. I know these clematises will take longer to establish than my others. I think I wasn't quite vigilant enough with water and fertilizer this summer (my mother broke her hip), but am now back on the job. My question is: how late into the fall should I provide these particular clematises extra water, and when should they get their last dose of rose food?

I thought that in the spring I would give the two that seem to be really struggling a good dose of liquid fertilizer. Make sense?

Pat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Still baby clems w/ root competition?

I don't like fertilizing anything that dies back in my yard after Labor day here in NC. Additional fertilizer after that point is going to try and stimulate new top growth and what I want my clematis to be doing is saving energy for winter and not growing like gangbusters. Sometimes the clematis still grow fairly rapidly after that point since the temps have cooled off and their is more rain. At least I know that Mother Nature is coaxing them to grow and it is not due to my intervention.

As for water, you can continue giving them that if the weather is especially dry in your area. Poke around in the ground and see how the soil moisture is in the vicinity and let that be your guide. I have stopped providing my clematis in the ground any additional water since we have begun getting sufficient rain and the temps have significantly dropped.

Make sure your liquid fertilizer is not one high in nitrogen or you will stimulate a lot of vegetative growth and few flowers.

o
RE: Still baby clems w/ root competition?

I wasn't going to give them any fertilizer this fall. But I thought a good dose of liquid fertilizer in very early spring prior to my usual regimen of rose fertilizer would be a good idea in this rooty area.

We had lots of rain in early summer, but it has been very dry for several weeks now. So I guess I'll just keep watering until Thanksgiving as I do for shrubs and trees younger than three years.

Pat

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here