Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loisthegardener_nc7b

Good Clematis for Growing Thru Rhododendron?

I have 2 large rhododendrons that look great in spring but boring for the rest of the summer. They get 5 hours of sun in the afternoon on the west side of the house.

Can anyone give me suggestions for clematis to grow through the rhodies and give them a second season of bloom? I'd like something bright enough to show up against the dark green foliage but not too pale - my house is a pale yellow and some colors don't show up well against it.

Thanks

Lois in PA

Comments (2)

• tracyvine
    14 years ago

I would suggest looking into the integrifolia and texensis group of clematis. They aren't clinging like many clems and will be gentle on the shrubbery. There are many colors of blooms to choose from.

I'm adding a link to Clematis on the Web's picture gallery for the integrifolia group. There is also a search feature to look through the different pictures available in other types as well. Just click on the picture search tab and then choose the group you wish to search on the types section.

Tracy

Here is a link that might be useful: Clematis on the Web Integrifolia Pic gallery

• michael_in_chicago
    14 years ago

I'm in a cooler climate, and my rhodos don't get as large as my family's in PA, but I have Ville de Lyon and Rhapsody growing through one of mine. I would choose ones like these (or integrifolias as suggested) that you trim to the ground each spring so that the growth stays fresh.

I chose these type III's because they grow up into the shrub as the rhodo blooms, then a few weeks later they each have a series of weeks when they bloom, holding their flowers up toward the sun. The effect is that the rhodo is blooming again early and mid summer.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting