Return to the Clematis Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dead-looking clematis vine

Posted by calgardener00 9 (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 18, 09 at 14:28

My beautiful clematis bloomed for two years and then the vines dried up this summer and look completely dead--is there a chance it will come back?

Have done nothing different this past year.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dead-looking clematis vine

Yes, there is a chance. Cut them down and fertilize and water them extra.

o

Mine, 4 months old, 3 ft high, is browning out from the root. Just happened 3 weeks ago. Advice would be most welcome..

o

Most of my Type II's look like that it is common in summer.

Just try to keep it well watered.

o

Fertilizer is not a good idea this late in the year. Just cut them off and mulch when it turns cold to keep them from heaving out in the winter and in the spring they will return.
Mine all get ratty at this time of year but the darlings all come back the next spring.
Tina

o

My 2 clematis vines looked like you described. They were turning brown and crispy. I cut one back down to the ground less than a month ago, when that one started to grow back I cut the other one, less than 2 weeks ago. They are both growing back like weeds and have buds on them already, I'm amazed! I live in South Louisiana.

I can't remember what the name is! Here is what it looked like in the spring:

early spring

o

The OP is in zone 9 so fertilizing her clematis now should not be an issue. In fact, use of an organic slow release low nitrogen, medium range phosphorus fertilizer will help most clematis get ready for winter and allow their roots to continue growing until the ground freezes solid--which cold be months away in colder zones if the ground is sufficiently mulched.

Bam007, your clematis looks a lot like Ramona to me!

o

Thanks for all the advice--I cut back the dead vines and have been giving it extra water. BTW: I bought this clematis on the 'dead and dying' table at Lowe's two years ago for one dollar and it snapped back immediately and bloomed with a little TLC. Never owned one before, it is a beautiful pale violet with stripes.

If it regenerates and blooms this year I will post pictures.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Clematis Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here